Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplify the proof of different vector calculus identities

1. Jul 19, 2015 #1
    Is there a way to simplify the proof of different vecot calculus identities, such as grad of f*g, which is expandable. And also curl of the curl of a field. Is there a more convenient way to go about proving these relations than to go through the long calculations of actually performing the curl and grad etc? I know nothing about geometric algebra, but is that a good way?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2015 #2
  4. Jul 19, 2015 #3
    vecid.gif
    Im talking about all these identities, is there a branch of mathematics that simplifies the proofs of these, and lets me avoid expending the vectors and del operators?

5. Jul 19, 2015 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Jul 24, 2015 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can use the Levi-Civita symbol without knowing anything about tensors other than the convention to not bother to write a summation sigma for an index that appears exactly twice. For example, ##\varepsilon_{ijk}A_j(B\times C)_k## really means ##\sum_{j=1}^3\sum_{k=1}^3\varepsilon_{ijk}A_j(B\times C)_k##. The proof of the first identity in post #3 goes like this:
    \begin{align*}
    &(A\times(B\times C))_i =\varepsilon_{ijk}A_j(B\times C)_k =\varepsilon_{ijk}A_j\varepsilon_{klm}B_l C_m =(\delta_{il}\delta_{jm}-\delta_{im}\delta_{jl})A_jB_lC_m
    =A_jB_iC_j -A_jB_jC_i\\
    &=B_i(A\cdot C)-C_i(A\cdot B) =(B(A\cdot C)-C(A\cdot B))_i.
    \end{align*} The Levi-Civita symbol ##\varepsilon_{ijk}## is defined by saying that ##\varepsilon_{123}=1## and that an exchange of any two indices changes the sign of ##\varepsilon_{ijk}##. (For example ##\varepsilon_{132}=-\varepsilon_{123}=-1##). Note that this implies that ##\varepsilon_{ijk}=0## when two of the indices have the same value. (If ##i=j##, then ##\varepsilon_{ijk}=\varepsilon_{jik}=-\varepsilon_{ijk}##). The third equality in the calculation above involves one of a small number of identities that you have to prove before you can really start working with this notation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook