Simplify the proof of different vector calculus identities

In this case, it is the identity ##\varepsilon_{ijk}\varepsilon_{klm}=\delta_{il}\delta_{jm}-\delta_{im}\delta_{jl}##.
Mappe
Is there a way to simplify the proof of different vecot calculus identities, such as grad of f*g, which is expandable. And also curl of the curl of a field. Is there a more convenient way to go about proving these relations than to go through the long calculations of actually performing the curl and grad etc? I know nothing about geometric algebra, but is that a good way?

Physics news on Phys.org
vecid.gif

Im talking about all these identities, is there a branch of mathematics that simplifies the proofs of these, and let's me avoid expending the vectors and del operators?

You can use the Levi-Civita symbol without knowing anything about tensors other than the convention to not bother to write a summation sigma for an index that appears exactly twice. For example, ##\varepsilon_{ijk}A_j(B\times C)_k## really means ##\sum_{j=1}^3\sum_{k=1}^3\varepsilon_{ijk}A_j(B\times C)_k##. The proof of the first identity in post #3 goes like this:
\begin{align*}
&(A\times(B\times C))_i =\varepsilon_{ijk}A_j(B\times C)_k =\varepsilon_{ijk}A_j\varepsilon_{klm}B_l C_m =(\delta_{il}\delta_{jm}-\delta_{im}\delta_{jl})A_jB_lC_m
=A_jB_iC_j -A_jB_jC_i\\
&=B_i(A\cdot C)-C_i(A\cdot B) =(B(A\cdot C)-C(A\cdot B))_i.
\end{align*} The Levi-Civita symbol ##\varepsilon_{ijk}## is defined by saying that ##\varepsilon_{123}=1## and that an exchange of any two indices changes the sign of ##\varepsilon_{ijk}##. (For example ##\varepsilon_{132}=-\varepsilon_{123}=-1##). Note that this implies that ##\varepsilon_{ijk}=0## when two of the indices have the same value. (If ##i=j##, then ##\varepsilon_{ijk}=\varepsilon_{jik}=-\varepsilon_{ijk}##). The third equality in the calculation above involves one of a small number of identities that you have to prove before you can really start working with this notation.

Likes davidmoore63@y

FAQ: Simplify the proof of different vector calculus identities

1. How can I simplify vector calculus identities?

Simplifying vector calculus identities involves using properties of vector operations, such as the distributive property, scalar multiplication, and vector addition and subtraction, to manipulate the equations into a simpler form.

2. What are some tips for simplifying vector calculus identities?

Some tips for simplifying vector calculus identities include breaking down complex expressions into smaller parts, using geometric interpretations of vector operations, and using the commutative and associative properties to reorder terms.

3. Can simplifying vector calculus identities make proofs easier?

Yes, simplifying vector calculus identities can make proofs easier by reducing the number of terms and operations involved in the equations, making it easier to see patterns and relationships between different parts of the proof.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when simplifying vector calculus identities?

Some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying vector calculus identities include forgetting to distribute terms properly, making errors in scalar multiplication, and forgetting to apply properties of vector operations.

5. How can I practice simplifying vector calculus identities?

You can practice simplifying vector calculus identities by working through practice problems, using online resources and tutorials, and seeking feedback from a teacher or tutor on your work. It can also be helpful to break down more complex proofs into smaller steps and work on simplifying each step individually.