Simplify the proof of different vector calculus identities

• Thread starter Mappe
  • Start date
Is there a way to simplify the proof of different vecot calculus identities, such as grad of f*g, which is expandable. And also curl of the curl of a field. Is there a more convenient way to go about proving these relations than to go through the long calculations of actually performing the curl and grad etc? I know nothing about geometric algebra, but is that a good way?

Answers and Replies

vecid.gif

Im talking about all these identities, is there a branch of mathematics that simplifies the proofs of these, and lets me avoid expending the vectors and del operators?

robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You can use the Levi-Civita symbol without knowing anything about tensors other than the convention to not bother to write a summation sigma for an index that appears exactly twice. For example, ##\varepsilon_{ijk}A_j(B\times C)_k## really means ##\sum_{j=1}^3\sum_{k=1}^3\varepsilon_{ijk}A_j(B\times C)_k##. The proof of the first identity in post #3 goes like this:
\begin{align*}
&(A\times(B\times C))_i =\varepsilon_{ijk}A_j(B\times C)_k =\varepsilon_{ijk}A_j\varepsilon_{klm}B_l C_m =(\delta_{il}\delta_{jm}-\delta_{im}\delta_{jl})A_jB_lC_m
=A_jB_iC_j -A_jB_jC_i\\
&=B_i(A\cdot C)-C_i(A\cdot B) =(B(A\cdot C)-C(A\cdot B))_i.
\end{align*} The Levi-Civita symbol ##\varepsilon_{ijk}## is defined by saying that ##\varepsilon_{123}=1## and that an exchange of any two indices changes the sign of ##\varepsilon_{ijk}##. (For example ##\varepsilon_{132}=-\varepsilon_{123}=-1##). Note that this implies that ##\varepsilon_{ijk}=0## when two of the indices have the same value. (If ##i=j##, then ##\varepsilon_{ijk}=\varepsilon_{jik}=-\varepsilon_{ijk}##). The third equality in the calculation above involves one of a small number of identities that you have to prove before you can really start working with this notation.

Likes davidmoore63@y