Solve Integral: y=(1-x^{2/3})^{3/2}, 0\leqx\leq1

In summary, the conversation discusses a surface area problem involving the function y=(1-x^{2/3})^{3/2}, and how to simplify the square root before solving. The conversation provides the derivative of the function and uses u-substitution to solve the integral and simplify the square root. The final answer is S=\frac{16\pi}{3}\left(3\sqrt 3 -2\sqrt 2\right).
apoptosis
Hello
Here is an integral question I have. It's a surface area problem, but i just have issues simplifying the square root before solving. Any help appreciated!

y=(1-x[tex]^{2/3}[/tex])[tex]^{3/2}[/tex], 0[tex]\leq[/tex]x[tex]\leq[/tex]1

My work:
dy/dx=-x[tex]^{-1/3}[/tex](1-x[tex]^{2/3}[/tex])[tex]^{1/2}[/tex]
(dy/dx)[tex]^{2}[/tex]=-x[tex]^{-2/3}[/tex](1-x[tex]^{2/3}[/tex])
=-x[tex]^{-2/3}[/tex]+1

S=(insert integral with limits here) 2[tex]\pi[/tex]xds
=2[tex]\pi[/tex]x [tex]\sqrt{-x^{-2/3} +1+1}[/tex]
=2[tex]\pi[/tex]x [tex]\sqrt{-x^{-2/3} +2}[/tex]

I'm not sure where to go after this...
thx

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
!The integral you are looking for is S=2\pi\int_0^1 \sqrt{-x^{-2/3}+2}\, dx. Now you can split the integrand into two parts to simplify the square root by using u-substitution: Let u=-x^{-2/3}+2, then du=-2x^{-5/3}dx. Substitute this into your integral and solve it: S=2\pi\int_2^3 \sqrt{u}\cdot (-2x^{-5/3})du=4\pi\int_2^3 u^{1/2}du=4\pi\left[\frac23u^{3/2}\right]_2^3 =\frac{16\pi}{3}\left(3^{3/2}-2^{3/2}\right)=\frac{16\pi}{3}\left(3\sqrt 3 -2\sqrt 2\right).

1. How do I solve this integral?

To solve this integral, we will use the substitution method. Let u = 1 - x^(2/3). This will make our integral easier to solve.

2. What is the range of values for x in this integral?

The range of values for x in this integral is 0 to 1, as indicated by the inequality 0 ≤ x ≤ 1.

3. Can I use the power rule to solve this integral?

No, the power rule only applies to integrals where the exponent is a whole number. In this case, the exponent is a fraction, so we must use the substitution method.

4. How do I handle the fractional exponent in this integral?

To handle the fractional exponent, we can use the fact that (1 - x^(2/3))^(3/2) is the same as (1 - x^(2/3))^3, and then use the substitution method with u = 1 - x^(2/3).

5. Is there a shortcut to solving this integral?

No, there is not a shortcut to solving this integral. However, there are some tips and tricks, such as using the substitution method, that can make the process easier and faster.