Simulation aborted because there are errors during netlisting

In summary: GND to ground.In summary, the conversation is about troubleshooting a circuit simulation in PSPice. The original poster was getting an error message and asked for help in finding the issue. Another user pointed out that the op amp in the circuit was not receiving power, which is necessary for it to function. The original poster then asked for clarification on how to include noise analysis in the simulation, but another user explained that it may not be necessary and gave instructions on how to properly use the AC analysis command. The conversation then shifted to discussing the power supply and how to effectively answer questions.
jean28
I have built the following circuit:

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee410/jean28x/pspicemodel.jpg

However, when I try to simulate it, I get an error that says "Simulation aborted because there are errors during netlisting. Please refer to the sessions log."

What am I doing wrong? I'm new with PSPice so I'm not sure what's wrong.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Did you refer to the sessions log and read the errors?

Where did you go wrong?

Mine ran just fine. You have selected 'ac analysis/noise' in simulation profile, right?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 2,578
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 2,293
Why you circuit don't work? The answer is simply you forgot about power supply. Unpowered opamps DO NOT WORK!

Kholdstare said:
Where did you go wrong?

Mine ran just fine. You have selected 'ac analysis/noise' in simulation profile, right?

I hadn't selected the Noise in simulation profile. I select AC Sweep/Noise analysis and then which options to I select? The frequency es 10000 Hz so I know that but what do I put in the Noise analysis part?

Kholdstare said:
Where did you go wrong?

I ran it while changing options in the noise area and got this mistake:

**** 10/22/12 13:20:02 *********** Evaluation PSpice (Nov 1999) **************

** Profile: "SCHEMATIC1-SimulationCircuitos2" [ C:\PsPice Stuff\projecto2circuitos2final-SCHEMATIC1-SimulationCircuitos2.sim ]

**** CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION

** Creating circuit file "projecto2circuitos2final-SCHEMATIC1-SimulationCircuitos2.sim.cir"
** WARNING: THIS AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED FILE MAY BE OVERWRITTEN BY SUBSEQUENT SIMULATIONS

*Libraries:
* Local Libraries :
* From [PSPICE NETLIST] section of pspiceev.ini file:
.lib "nom.lib"

*Analysis directives:
.AC DEC 100 10000 1000
------------------$
ERROR -- Invalid value
.NOISE 10 50
-------$
ERROR -- Must be independent source (I or V)
.PROBE
.INC "projecto2circuitos2final-SCHEMATIC1.net"

**** INCLUDING projecto2circuitos2final-SCHEMATIC1.net ****
* source PROJECTO2CIRCUITOS2FINAL
V_V1 N00036 GND DC 0Vdc AC 6.250Vac
R_R1 N00036 N00042 200k
R_R2 N00042 N00076 50k
R_R3 N00042 N00140 40k
C_C1 N00076 N00140 10n
C_C2 GND N00042 25n
X_U1A N00076 GND N00140 GND N00140 LM324
V_V2 N00113 GND 9Vdc
V_V3 GND M_UN0001 9Vdc

**** RESUMING projecto2circuitos2final-SCHEMATIC1-SimulationCircuitos2.sim.cir ****
.INC "projecto2circuitos2final-SCHEMATIC1.als"

**** INCLUDING projecto2circuitos2final-SCHEMATIC1.als ****
.ALIASES
V_V1 V1(+=N00036 -=GND )
R_R1 R1(1=N00036 2=N00042 )
R_R2 R2(1=N00042 2=N00076 )
R_R3 R3(1=N00042 2=N00140 )
C_C1 C1(1=N00076 2=N00140 )
C_C2 C2(1=GND 2=N00042 )
X_U1A U1A(+=N00076 -=GND V+=N00140 V-=GND OUT=N00140 )
V_V2 V2(+=N00113 -=GND )
V_V3 V3(+=GND -=M_UN0001 )
_ _(GND=GND)
_ _(GND=GND)
.ENDALIASES

**** RESUMING projecto2circuitos2final-SCHEMATIC1-SimulationCircuitos2.sim.cir ****
.END

You must be kidding me.
Your circuit will work if you add symmetric power supply to op amp. Positive terminal to pin 4. Negative to pin 11 and GND to ground.

Jony130 said:
You must be kidding me.
Your circuit will work if you add symmetric power supply to op amp. Positive terminal to pin 4. Negative to pin 11 and GND to ground.
It usually helps someone follow your advice if you show how you came to the conclusions you did. What made you realize that the power supply was not hooked up correctly?

Code:
*Analysis directives: 
[b].AC DEC 100 10000 1000[/b]
------------------$
ERROR -- Invalid value
[b].NOISE 10 50[/b] 
-------$
What do the three numbers in the .AC directive mean?

Simon Bridge said:
It usually helps someone follow your advice if you show how you came to the conclusions you did. What made you realize that the power supply was not hooked up correctly?
Just one look at the diagram
attachment.php?attachmentid=52212&stc=1&d=1350941007.jpg

And what you see ?? No power supply.

Kholdstare said:
Where did you go wrong?

Are you sure?? Output voltage is only 42μV. Typical example of GIGO in the case of simulators, garbage in=sophisticated garbage out.

Attachments

• bez tytułu.JPG
    bez tytułu.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 7,559
Last edited:
The diagram includes a psu far left... perhaps there is a misunderstanding about this you think?
Could this have something to do with the second error message?

Simon Bridge said:
The diagram includes a psu far left... perhaps there is a misunderstanding about this you think?
Could this have something to do with the second error message?

what the 6.25V AC ? that's the input signal me thinks

D

davenn said:
what the 6.25V AC ? that's the input signal me thinks
This is what I'm talking about! Now what role has OP got it playing in the circuit diagram?

Probably best to continue this part of the discussion in private since it is about how to answer questions effectively and not actually about OPs problem.

jean28 said:
I hadn't selected the Noise in simulation profile. I select AC Sweep/Noise analysis and then which options to I select? The frequency es 10000 Hz so I know that but what do I put in the Noise analysis part?

You don't necessarily have to put noise analysis in your simulation if that is not something you want to do.

Code:
.AC DEC 100 10000 1000
------------------$
ERROR -- Invalid value
.NOISE 10 50 
-------$

The ".AC" command syntax is
Code:
.AC <sweep type> <points value> <start frequency value> <end frequency value>

In your case start freq is greater than end freq. You have to set it correctly in simulation window.

The ".NOISE" command syntax is
Code:
.NOISE V(<node> [,<node>]) <name> [interval value]

You did not give V(output node) and name(noise source) etc.

I'm telling you again, you probably do not need noise analysis. So turn it off. AC analysis will run just fine without noise analysis.

Jony130 said:
You must be kidding me.

Jony, I know very well that the circuit will not work hooked up like that. But that does not mean the circuit will not simulate and give out the garbage value. The issue I tried to solve was with the simulation procedure. Once that is done Jean can see whether his circuit produces desired result or not, and come to us again.

I tried a LTSpice simulation of this circuit.

Because of the positive feedback, the output depends on the initial voltage on the input, but it always goes to one supply rail or the other.

Assuming this is a mistake, I reversed the inputs to the opamp and it then behaves like a low pass filter with a 6dB cutoff of about 300 Hz.

As a matter of interest, if the 10 nF capacitor is replaced with a smaller value, the circuit becomes a bandpass filter. For example, a 220 pF capacitor in this position produces a peak output at about 1480 Hz.

Last edited:
vk6kro said:
As a matter of interest, if the 10 nF capacitor is replaced with a smaller value, the circuit becomes a bandpass filter. For example, a 220 pF capacitor in this position produces a peak output at about 1480 Hz.
This is not true. This circuit (correct diagram) is a multiple feedback low-pass filter.
And if you change capacitor to 220pF the only think that has change except cut-off frequency is a quality factor. Q has change from 0.7 to Q = 4.767 for 220pF but it is still a low pass filter.

Attachments

• 10.PNG
    10.PNG
    4.5 KB · Views: 1,211
  • 11.PNG
    11.PNG
    2.7 KB · Views: 1,224
Without the dB scale, it looks like this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/LPF%20BPF.PNG

This is the 100 pF output.

So, although the circuit LOOKS like a low pass filter, it behaves like a band pass filter because it has the wrong components in it to be a proper LPF.

I mentioned this because this filter can apparently cover quite a large section of the audio spectrum with a small variable capacitor. So, it is interesting because it has some applications.

Last edited by a moderator:

What does "Simulation aborted because there are errors during netlisting" mean?

This means that there were errors detected during the process of translating the circuit design into a simulation model. These errors could be related to syntax, circuit connectivity, or missing components.

Why did my simulation abort due to netlisting errors?

There can be several reasons for netlisting errors, such as incorrect circuit connections, missing or incorrect component models, or syntax errors in the circuit design. It is important to carefully review and double-check the circuit design to identify and fix any errors.

How can I fix netlisting errors in my simulation?

To fix netlisting errors, carefully review the circuit design and check for any missing or incorrect connections, components, or syntax. Make sure all components have the correct models and that the circuit is properly connected. Also, check for any typos or errors in the circuit design.

Can third-party components cause netlisting errors?

Yes, using third-party components in the circuit design can sometimes cause netlisting errors. This could be due to incorrect or incomplete models for the components. It is important to verify the accuracy and compatibility of third-party components before using them in a simulation.

How can I prevent netlisting errors in my simulations?

To prevent netlisting errors, it is essential to carefully design and double-check the circuit before running the simulation. This includes checking for proper connections, using accurate component models, and ensuring correct syntax. It is also helpful to use simulation software with built-in error checking and verification tools.