Simulation result vs actual experiment result

In summary, the conversation discusses a discrepancy between the simulated and actual output voltage of a circuit, with the actual voltage being 20% lower than the simulated voltage. The question is raised as to whether this difference is considered acceptable, with a reminder from the lecturer that readings should ideally not have a difference of more than 5%. Further information about the experiment and the instrumentation used is needed to determine if the reading is correct.
ToonBlue

Homework Statement

Let said I have found out the ripple output voltage for a given circuit using a simulation software and it gives me 10V + and then when I do the actual experiment , I got about 7.8V for my output ripple voltage.

With a difference of more than 20% , does the reading i get consider to be correct ? I remember that my lecturer once said that your reading should not be difference of more than 5%

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
ToonBlue said:
the actual experiment
Without a description of the actual experiment/measurement, there is no way to say. What sort of instrumentation are you using? Specifications? Settling times?

What is your instrument measuring, peak, average or RMS?

Last edited:

1. How accurate are simulation results compared to actual experiment results?

Simulation results can be very accurate when the simulation model is well-designed and includes all relevant factors. However, in some cases, there may be discrepancies between simulation and actual results due to simplifications or assumptions made in the simulation.

2. What are the advantages of using simulation over conducting physical experiments?

Simulation allows for cost-effective and time-efficient testing of different scenarios and variables. It also eliminates safety risks and ethical concerns associated with physical experiments. Additionally, simulations can be easily repeated and modified, providing more comprehensive and accurate results.

3. Can simulation results be used to predict real-world outcomes?

Simulation results can offer valuable insights and predictions, but they should always be validated against actual experiment results before being used to make real-world decisions. Factors such as model accuracy, data quality, and assumptions made in the simulation can affect the reliability of predictions.

4. How can discrepancies between simulation and actual results be minimized?

To minimize discrepancies, it is essential to carefully design the simulation model, validate it against real-world data, and continuously improve and refine the model. Additionally, it is crucial to carefully select the input data and consider any limitations or assumptions made during the simulation.

5. What are the limitations of using simulation to study complex systems?

Simulation can be a powerful tool for studying complex systems, but it has some limitations. For instance, it may be challenging to accurately model all factors and interactions in a complex system, and the simulation may not account for unforeseen events or human behavior. Additionally, the accuracy of simulation results is highly dependent on the quality of input data and assumptions made in the model.