How do I solve simultaneous equations with squared terms and fractions?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a system of simultaneous equations involving non-linear equations. Different approaches are suggested, including substituting variables, manipulating equations, and using identities. Ultimately, the most effective approach is to add the two equations and use the identity (x+y)^2 = x^2 + 2xy + y^2 to obtain a quadratic equation that can be easily solved.
nirvana1990
[SOLVED] Simultaneous equations

Homework Statement

Solve: x^2+y^2=10 and 1/x+1/y=4/3

Homework Equations

er... I've tred substituting y=mx into eliminate y

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried squaring the2nd equation to give: 1/x^2+1/y^2+2/xy=16/9
Then I substituted y^2=10-x^2 into give: 1/x^2+(1/10-x^2)+2/xy=16/9

Physics news on Phys.org
I would've tried to obtain one of the variables in terms of the other from the 2nd eq., then substitute that into the 1st.

Note that from the 2. equation, you have:
[tex]2xy=\frac{3}{2}(x+y)[/tex]

Add this to your first equation, yielding:
[tex](x+y)^{2}=10+\frac{3}{2}(x+y)[/tex]

This is a quadratic equation in the unknown (x+y) that is easily solved.

nirvana1990 said:

Homework Equations

er... I've tred substituting y=mx into eliminate y

This relation won't help you because it is not supported by either of the equations you are given. There is nothing that tells us that x and y are related by a linear equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried squaring the2nd equation to give: 1/x^2+1/y^2+2/xy=16/9
Then I substituted y^2=10-x^2 into give: 1/x^2+(1/10-x^2)+2/xy=16/9

It's good to see that you are wrestling with this. Unhappily, there is no general method for solving systems of *non-linear* equations: you have to look for approaches that suit the particular types of relations that appear in the system. So stumbling around is something everyone does; if you do enough of these sorts of problems, you will gain experience in what works in different situations.

I'd say here that the key thing is to avoid having to deal with square roots or mixed terms containing both x and y, because these create some of the more awkward algebraic equations to solve. You found that squaring the second equation still leaves an *unsquared* x and y, so substitution from the first equation remains problematic. OK, that route won't help, so let's try something else.

Solve the second equation for (1/y). You now have the variables separated (which will be *essential* in getting anywhere with this) and the expression involving x is a difference of two fractions. Put those over a common denominator, so you have (1/y) expressed as a rational function in x. Now you can take the reciprocal to get *y* expressed as a rational function in x. You now have something you can substitute into the first equation. (I didn't say the algebra would be pretty, but you will at least now have something which can be reduced to solving for the roots of a polynomial equation in x. I'll work this through to see how bad it gets...)

Thanks for the reply! I've now rearranged the 2nd eq. : 1/x=4/3-1/y and I've inversed it all to get: x=-3/(3y-4), I then substituted this into the 1st eq. and rearranged to get: 9y^4-24y^3-74y^2+240y-151=0 is this right??

arildno said:

Well, I guess this illustrates what I was saying about "stumbling": the approach I proposed does not "tidy up" for this problem and leaves a fourth-degree polynomial to find zeroes for. I regret not spotting this approach and it will work cleanly (with a *little* work). Thanks, arildno.

nirvana1990 said:
Thanks for the reply! I've now rearranged the 2nd eq. : 1/x=4/3-1/y and I've inversed it all to get: x=-3/(3y-4),

I believe this should be x = 3y/(y-4) . But you *will* end up with a quartic equation to solve. While you can get approximations of zeroes with graphing software nowadays, this is not going to be what mathematicians like and won't be available at an exam.

arildno's method is much better for this problem; my apologies...

Oh ok so using what dynamicsolo says I got: 1/y=(4x-3)/3x
Taking the reciprocal I get: y=3x/(4x-3)
Sub this in eq.1: x^2+9x^2/(4x^2-24x+9)=10 is this right so far?
Can I then multiply up to get a quartic equation and (somehow) solve that?!

Thanks for the help!

arildno said:

Thanks for the help! I've rearranged the 2nd eq. ad divided by 2 to get (like you say) 3/2(x+y)=2xy but I don't understand how this has gone into the 1st eq. and what we're substituting it for?

nirvana1990 said:
Thanks for the help! I've rearranged the 2nd eq. ad divided by 2 to get (like you say) 3/2(x+y)=2xy but I don't understand how this has gone into the 1st eq. and what we're substituting it for?

Note that 3/2(x+y) is the SAME number as 2xy.
That is what the equality sign between them means!

Therefore, since you can add the same number to each side of an equation, add 2xy to the left hand side of eq. 1, and 3/2(x+y) to your right hand side.

Your left hand side of modified 1 can now be rewritten by the identity
[tex](x+y)^{2}=x^{2}+2xy+y^{2}[/tex]
for all x and y.

Oh yay I get it now! Thank you sooo much!

Marked thread as solved to test.

1. What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are a set of two or more equations that are solved at the same time. They contain multiple variables and are used to find the values of these variables that satisfy all of the equations in the system.

2. How do you solve simultaneous equations?

There are a few methods for solving simultaneous equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate one of the variables and then solving for the remaining variable.

3. What is the purpose of solving simultaneous equations?

Solving simultaneous equations allows us to find the intersection point(s) of two or more lines or curves. This can be used to solve real-world problems, such as finding the break-even point in a business or determining the optimal solution in a system of equations representing different constraints.

4. Can simultaneous equations have more than two variables?

Yes, simultaneous equations can have any number of variables. However, the number of equations must also equal the number of variables in order to have a unique solution. If there are more equations than variables, the system is considered overdetermined and may not have a solution.

5. What happens if there is no solution to a system of simultaneous equations?

If there is no solution, it means that the equations are contradictory and cannot be satisfied simultaneously. This may occur when the lines or curves represented by the equations do not intersect, or when the equations are inconsistent with each other.