Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Since when?

1. Oct 7, 2013 #1

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Since when does reporting a bad post count as posting?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

For as long as I remember.

4. Oct 7, 2013 #3

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Probably because in most standard forum software packages, all the "Report..." button does is make a post in a private forum that only the moderators have access to.
    So you can't see it, but it does count as a post.

5. Oct 7, 2013 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK --- there really was a time when Greg had things set up to count ONLY posts with "phys/sci content;" GD, lounges, and such weren't included. But, I ain't been here lately, so....

6. Oct 7, 2013 #5

Borek

From what I know reports were counted even then.

7. Oct 7, 2013 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree with Borek; in the five years that I have been a Mentor, reports have always been included in the post count.

As CompuChip has noted, each new report generates a discussion thread in a hidden forum, and all the posts in the discussion thread, not just the initial report, are included in the post count.

8. Oct 7, 2013 #7

Evo

Reports have always counted, and they should, it takes time and effort for a member to report a post, it is a benefit to the forum. Of course members that misuse the report function will be dealt with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook