Sine Wave Questions: Wavelength, Frequency, Speed

In summary, a sinusoidal transverse wave traveling on a string has a wavelength of 4π and a frequency of 8.5 Hz.
PrettyLights

Homework Statement

A sinusoidal transverse wave traveling on a string is described at t=2.0s by y(x)=0.1sin(4πx+(33π/40) and at x=1.0m by y(t)=0.1sin((17π/4)+4πt)

a. What is the wavelength and the amplitude?
b. What is the frequency (Hz) and direction of propagation?
c. What is the speed?
d. Write down the full equation for displacement at position x and time t
e. Describe a wave whose simultaneous presence in the string would create a standing wave

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Amplitude= 0.1 m
Wavelength- I know the wavelength is a measurement of the distance between two identical points aka the distance for one cycle to occur; however, I'm not sure if this means that the wavelength here is just 4π or if it should be something like 4π/2, which references the distance of one rotation.
Frequency- I know frequency should use the second equation, which is a function of time. Can I just do 2πf=17π/4 and solve for f? That gives me 8.5 Hz. From here I know I can find the speed, but I'm not sure if these calculation are correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
PrettyLights said:
2πf=17π/4
PrettyLights said:
y(t)=0.1sin((17π/4)+4πt)
Which term represents angular velocity ω?

PrettyLights said:

Homework Statement

A sinusoidal transverse wave traveling on a string is described at t=2.0s by y(x)=0.1sin(4πx+(33π/40) and at x=1.0m by y(t)=0.1sin((17π/4)+4πt)

a. What is the wavelength and the amplitude?
b. What is the frequency (Hz) and direction of propagation?
c. What is the speed?
d. Write down the full equation for displacement at position x and time t
e. Describe a wave whose simultaneous presence in the string would create a standing wave

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Amplitude= 0.1 m
Wavelength- I know the wavelength is a measurement of the distance between two identical points aka the distance for one cycle to occur; however, I'm not sure if this means that the wavelength here is just 4π or if it should be something like 4π/2, which references the distance of one rotation.
Frequency- I know frequency should use the second equation, which is a function of time. Can I just do 2πf=17π/4 and solve for f? That gives me 8.5 Hz. From here I know I can find the speed, but I'm not sure if these calculation are correct.
Write out the general equation for a traveling wave. Use the given facts to obtain further equations from it.

1. What is a sine wave?

A sine wave is a mathematical curve that represents a smooth and repetitive oscillation. It is a type of wave that is characterized by its wavelength, frequency, and amplitude.

2. What is wavelength and how is it measured?

Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a sine wave. It is usually measured in meters (m) or its multiples, such as nanometers (nm) or millimeters (mm).

3. How is frequency related to wavelength?

Frequency is the number of complete cycles of a wave that occur in one second. It is inversely proportional to wavelength, meaning that as wavelength increases, frequency decreases, and vice versa.

4. What is the speed of a sine wave and how is it calculated?

The speed of a sine wave is the rate at which it travels through a medium. It is calculated by multiplying the wavelength by the frequency, or by using the formula speed = distance/time.

5. How are sine waves used in science and technology?

Sine waves have many applications in science and technology, such as in sound and radio waves, electronics, and optics. They are also used in fields like acoustics, signal processing, and communication systems.