Single acting cylinders - naming

• Thread starter lakmalp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cylinders
In summary, the conversation discusses the specifications for single acting hydraulic cylinders and how to specify a pushing or pulling cylinder. It also mentions the different types of cylinders and provides a link to a catalog that explains how to specify a pull or push cylinder. The specific term for a pulling cylinder is "Reverse Single Acting" and it is also referred to as a reverse acting cylinder.
lakmalp
Hi,

For single acting hydraulic cylinders, how can I specify I need pushing cylinder? Is there a specific name for push or pull cylinders? Please let me know how should I call Cylinders of type 1 and type 2.
Code:
|----------------------|
|               ||     |
|               ||=================== --> push
|               ||     |        rod
|--||------------------|
   ||

pressure in

Type 1.
------------------------------------------------

|----------------------|
|       ||             |
|       ||=========================== <-- pull
|       ||             |        rod
|---------------||-----|
                ||

pressure in

Type 2.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Look at page 1.19 in this http://www.bimba.com/pdf/catalogs/FL_OriginalLine.pdf" catalog. They tell you how to specify a pull or push cylinder.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Integral: Thank you a lot. :smile:
What I want is "Reverse Single Acting"

from http://www.universalsewing.com/tek9...s&srch=&usssearchby=header&usscriteria=299.4":
Reverse Acting Cylinders: A "pull" type cylinder where the piston rod is normally extended through the front of the cylinder. Air through the front of the cylinder moves the piston rod to the rear. When the air is exhausted an enclosed spring returns the piston rod to its normally extended position.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a single acting cylinder?

A single acting cylinder is a type of pneumatic or hydraulic cylinder that uses air or fluid pressure to move in one direction, and a spring or other external force to return to its original position.

2. How are single acting cylinders named?

Single acting cylinders are typically named based on their design and the type of fluid or air used to power them. For example, a single acting pneumatic cylinder may be named "P1B Series", with "P" indicating pneumatic and "1B" indicating the design type.

3. What is the purpose of the letter or number in the name?

The letter or number in the name of a single acting cylinder typically refers to the design or mounting style of the cylinder. For example, "1B" may indicate a basic design with a nose mount, while "1A" may indicate a basic design with a pivot mount.

4. Are there any standard naming conventions for single acting cylinders?

While there are no universal standards for naming single acting cylinders, many manufacturers use similar naming conventions to indicate the type of cylinder, its design, and any special features or modifications.

5. Can single acting cylinders be customized or modified?

Yes, single acting cylinders can often be customized or modified to fit specific applications or requirements. This may include changes to the design, mounting style, or materials used. It is important to consult with the manufacturer to ensure any modifications are safe and appropriate for the intended use.