Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Single acting cylinders - naming

  1. Sep 18, 2011 #1

    For single acting hydraulic cylinders, how can I specify I need pushing cylinder? Is there a specific name for push or pull cylinders? Please let me know how should I call Cylinders of type 1 and type 2.
    Code (Text):

    |               ||     |
    |               ||=================== --> push
    |               ||     |        rod
        pressure in

    Type 1.

    |       ||             |
    |       ||=========================== <-- pull
    |       ||             |        rod
                     pressure in

    Type 2.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2011 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Look at page 1.19 in this http://www.bimba.com/pdf/catalogs/FL_OriginalLine.pdf" [Broken] catalog. They tell you how to specify a pull or push cylinder.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Sep 18, 2011 #3
    @Integral: Thank you a lot. :smile:
    What I want is "Reverse Single Acting"

    from http://www.universalsewing.com/tek9...s&srch=&usssearchby=header&usscriteria=299.4":
    Reverse Acting Cylinders: A "pull" type cylinder where the piston rod is normally extended through the front of the cylinder. Air through the front of the cylinder moves the piston rod to the rear. When the air is exhausted an enclosed spring returns the piston rod to its normally extended position.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook