Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Single electron wave packet in Fock space?

1. Jun 22, 2015 #1
    How might we construct a state most closely corresponding to the idea of a single electron wave packet as some superposition of Fock states?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2015 #2

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think that's compatible with the QFT formalism of a superposition of 0 particle, 1 particle, 2 particle states etc - but someone who knows more than I do may have an answer - I certainly don't. A wave-packet is of a single particle.

Thanks
    Bill

4. Jun 23, 2015 #3

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

It is a pure Fock state in its 1-particle sector. A general Fock state has the form $$\psi=\psi_0+\psi_1+\psi_2+\ldots$$ of a superposition of N-particle states \psi_N. In a momentum representation the latter are of the form $$\psi_N=\int dp_1...dp_N \psi_N(p_1,\ldots,p_N)|p_1,\ldots,p_n\rangle$$. Now put all \psi_N to zero except for N=1, and you can translate your wave packet exactly into a state in Fock space.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook