Sinusoidal Waveforms: Answers & Solutions

In summary, the following statements are Sinusoidal: 1. f(x)= sinx + 2sin(x-(Pi/6))2. f(x)= sinx +sin2x3. f(x)= sinx + 1/2(sin2x)4. f(x)= sinx + 1/3(sin3x)+1/5(sin5x)5. f(x)= sinx.cos2x6. f(x)= sin3x.sin2x7. f(x)= sin^23x
john50

Homework Statement

Hi,

Could you please help me decide on these answers?
The question is " Are the following statements Sinusoidal? And are they Periodic?
I have produced the waveforms in MathCad
The limits are 0 - 4Pi

1.f(x)= sinx + 2sin(x-(Pi/6))
2.f(x)= sinx +sin2x
3.f(x)= sinx + 1/2(sin2x)
4.f(x)= sinx + 1/3(sin3x)+1/5(sin5x)
5.f(x)= sinx.cos2x
6.f(x)= sin3x.sin2x
7.f(x)= sin^23x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think they are all periodic as my understanding of periodic is that the waveform repeats itself after 2pi (360 degrees) Which they all seem to do.
I am unsure about the Sinusoidal part though. I know that number 1 is but not sure about the rest! How do I tell?

I also have to work out the r.m.s value of a complex waveform, Am I right in saying that if its sinusoidal I can use Vmax/root2? If its not sinusoidal can I use this formula?

b7c9fa7b037ded01fa971f5c9f83d03b.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Periodic means that the function repeats the same value 'periodically', i.e. with the same period, i.e. f(t) = f(t+T) = f(t+nT) where n is an integer, and T is the period.

Integating the sin function over one period gives 0.

See - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sine_wave

A sinusoidal function certainly is one that can be put in the general form

[tex] y(t) = sin (\omega t + \theta) [/tex], where [itex]\omega[/itex] is the angular frequency (rad/sec) = 2[itex]\pi[/itex] f, and [itex]\theta[/itex] is the phase or phase shift in radians.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I get the periodic part now (Many Thanks)

However I am still somewhat confused about the Sinusoidal part. All the formulas mention Time or frequency, however I only seem to have a phase figure. (i.e) I have 0 - 4Pi plotted along the horizontal axis and Amplitude along the vertical axis in my graphs.

Am I missing something blindingly obvious?

Many Thanks

1. What is a sinusoidal waveform?

A sinusoidal waveform is a type of wave that has a repeating pattern that resembles a sine curve. It is a mathematical function that describes a smooth oscillation or vibration.

2. What are the characteristics of a sinusoidal waveform?

The characteristics of a sinusoidal waveform include amplitude, frequency, period, and phase. Amplitude is the height of the wave, frequency is the number of cycles per second, period is the time it takes to complete one cycle, and phase is the position of the wave at a given time.

3. How are sinusoidal waveforms used in science?

Sinusoidal waveforms are used in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to represent and study various phenomena, such as sound, light, and electricity. They are also used in signal processing and analysis, as well as in modeling and predicting natural phenomena.

4. What are some common applications of sinusoidal waveforms?

Some common applications of sinusoidal waveforms include audio signals in music and speech, electrical signals in power systems and electronics, and light waves in optics and imaging. They are also used in technologies such as sonar, radar, and medical imaging.

5. How can I calculate and analyze sinusoidal waveforms?

To calculate and analyze sinusoidal waveforms, you can use mathematical equations and formulas, such as the sine function, to determine the amplitude, frequency, and other characteristics of the wave. You can also use tools such as graphs and oscilloscopes to visualize and measure the waveform. Additionally, there are various software programs and apps available for analyzing sinusoidal waveforms.