1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sinusoidal Waveforms

1. Sep 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi,

Could you please help me decide on these answers?
    The question is " Are the following statements Sinusoidal? And are they Periodic?
    I have produced the waveforms in MathCad
    The limits are 0 - 4Pi

1.f(x)= sinx + 2sin(x-(Pi/6))
    2.f(x)= sinx +sin2x
    3.f(x)= sinx + 1/2(sin2x)
    4.f(x)= sinx + 1/3(sin3x)+1/5(sin5x)
    5.f(x)= sinx.cos2x
    6.f(x)= sin3x.sin2x
    7.f(x)= sin^23x
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think they are all periodic as my understanding of periodic is that the waveform repeats itself after 2pi (360 degrees) Which they all seem to do.
    I am unsure about the Sinusoidal part though. I know that number 1 is but not sure about the rest!! How do I tell?

I also have to work out the r.m.s value of a complex waveform, Am I right in saying that if its sinusoidal I can use Vmax/root2? If its not sinusoidal can I use this formula?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Periodic means that the function repeats the same value 'periodically', i.e. with the same period, i.e. f(t) = f(t+T) = f(t+nT) where n is an integer, and T is the period.

Integating the sin function over one period gives 0.

See - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sine_wave

A sinusoidal function certainly is one that can be put in the general form

[tex] y(t) = sin (\omega t + \theta) [/tex], where [itex]\omega[/itex] is the angular frequency (rad/sec) = 2[itex]\pi[/itex] f, and [itex]\theta[/itex] is the phase or phase shift in radians.

4. Sep 16, 2007 #3
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I get the periodic part now (Many Thanks)

However I am still somewhat confused about the Sinusoidal part. All the formulas mention Time or frequency, however I only seem to have a phase figure. (i.e) I have 0 - 4Pi plotted along the horizontal axis and Amplitude along the vertical axis in my graphs.

Am I missing something blindingly obvious?

Many Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?