Sinusoidial waves: Frequency is not dependant on speed?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between speed and frequency in a wave, with the question of what determines the speed of a wave on a stretched string. The correct equation for determining wave speed is v=√(T/μ), which takes into account tension and mass density. The misunderstanding of using v=λf is clarified and the problem is solved.
Willjeezy

Homework Statement

I am really confused.

v = λ f

doesn't that imply that speed is dependent on frequency?

There is a question in my book that says:

A sinusoidal wave of frequency f is traveling along a stretched string. The string is brought to rest, and a second traveling wave of frequency 2f is established on the string.
(i) what is the wave speed of the second wave?

Homework Equations

v = λ f

The Attempt at a Solution

so I figured the answer would be something like:

since v1=λf
it follows that, if the second wave has frequency 2f
v2 = λ(2f)
v2 = 2 (λf)
v2 = 2 (v1)

but somehow the answer is: "the same as the first wave" Can someone explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Willjeezy said:

Homework Statement

I am really confused.

v = λ f

doesn't that imply that speed is dependent on frequency?

There is a question in my book that says:

A sinusoidal wave of frequency f is traveling along a stretched string. The string is brought to rest, and a second traveling wave of frequency 2f is established on the string.
(i) what is the wave speed of the second wave?

Homework Equations

v = λ f

The Attempt at a Solution

so I figured the answer would be something like:

since v1=λf
it follows that, if the second wave has frequency 2f
v2 = λ(2f)
v2 = 2 (λf)
v2 = 2 (v1)

but somehow the answer is: "the same as the first wave" Can someone explain this to me?

You are assuming λ doesn't change. You have the wrong equation. What equation determines the speed of a wave on a stretched string? Might just involve tension and mass density, yes?

Ohhhhh, right right. If frequency increases λ would get shorter.

i flipped two pages down and found:
v=√(T/μ)

problem solved. Thanks.

1. What is a sinusoidal wave?

A sinusoidal wave is a type of wave that has a repeating pattern and can be described by a mathematical function called a sine wave. It is characterized by its amplitude, frequency, and phase.

2. What is frequency and how is it related to sinusoidal waves?

Frequency is the number of cycles of a wave that occur in one second. In sinusoidal waves, frequency is a measure of how often the wave repeats itself in a given period of time. It is inversely proportional to the wavelength of the wave.

3. Why is frequency not dependent on speed in sinusoidal waves?

Frequency is a characteristic of a wave that is determined by its source and does not change as the wave travels. Speed, on the other hand, is dependent on the medium through which the wave travels. Therefore, frequency and speed are independent of each other in sinusoidal waves.

4. How is the speed of a sinusoidal wave related to its wavelength?

The speed of a wave is equal to the product of its frequency and wavelength. This means that as the wavelength of a sinusoidal wave increases, its speed also increases, while the frequency remains constant.

5. What are some common examples of sinusoidal waves?

Sinusoidal waves are present in many natural phenomena, such as sound waves, light waves, and water waves. They are also used in various technologies, including radios, televisions, and musical instruments.