Siphon-Absolute pressure

• Thread starter mchesypoof
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, a flexible tube can be used as a simple siphon to transfer fluid between containers with a density of 800 kg/m3. Three points (X, Y, Z) are given in the figure, with X being 10cm below the fluid line, Y being 20cm above the fluid level, and Z being 60cm below the fluid level. Using the equations ∆P = density x gravity x ∆height and Archimedes' principle, the absolute pressure at point Y is being calculated by finding the speed of the fluid (3.429m/s) at points Y and Z, and using equation 1 with ∆h = 0.2m or 0.3m and
mchesypoof

Homework Statement

A flexible tube can be used as a simple siphon to transfer fluid from one container to a lower container. The fluid has a density of 800. kg/m3. See the dimensions given in the figure, and take atmospheric pressure to be 101.3 kPa.
There are three points given:

Pt X is 10cm below the fluid line in tub from which the fluid is draining.
Pt Y is 20cm above the fluid level in the tub.
Pt Z is 60cm below the fluid level in the tub.

What is the absolute pressure at point Y?

Homework Equations

1) ∆P=density x gravity x ∆height
and 2) Archimedes' principle

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already found the speed of the fluid in the siphon to be 3.429m/s at pts Y and Z.
From the book I derived the equation 1 and tried using both .2m and .3m for the ∆h, but to no avail. I didn't forget to add the 101.3kpa to the pressure either, and since neither of the previous two answers are correct, I'm a little lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm thinking the problem has something to do with Archimedes' Principle, but I don't understand how that applies. Can someone please help?

I would first double check my calculations and make sure all units are correctly converted. I would also consider the effects of friction and viscosity on the fluid flow in the siphon. Additionally, I would use Archimedes' principle to calculate the pressure at point Y, which would take into account the weight of the fluid above that point. This would give a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the pressure at point Y. I would also suggest experimenting with different heights and fluid densities to see how they affect the pressure at point Y. This could lead to a better understanding of the underlying principles at play in this siphon system.

What is siphon-absolute pressure?

Siphon-absolute pressure is a type of pressure measurement that takes into account the atmospheric pressure in addition to the pressure of a fluid in a siphon. It is used to measure the total pressure present in a system, rather than just the pressure of the fluid.

How is siphon-absolute pressure different from other types of pressure measurements?

Siphon-absolute pressure differs from other types of pressure measurements, such as gauge pressure or absolute pressure, because it takes into account both atmospheric pressure and the pressure of the fluid in the siphon. This provides a more accurate measurement of the total pressure in a system.

What is the formula for calculating siphon-absolute pressure?

The formula for calculating siphon-absolute pressure is P = Patm + ρgh, where P is the siphon-absolute pressure, Patm is the atmospheric pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the siphon tube.

What are some common applications for siphon-absolute pressure measurements?

Siphon-absolute pressure measurements are commonly used in industries such as oil and gas, chemical processing, and pharmaceuticals. They are also useful in laboratory experiments and in monitoring and controlling pressure in various systems.

What factors can affect siphon-absolute pressure readings?

Several factors can affect siphon-absolute pressure readings, including changes in atmospheric pressure, changes in the density of the fluid, and variations in the height of the siphon tube. It is important to carefully calibrate and monitor these factors to ensure accurate measurements.