Sketch and Determine the Transfer Function From Its Poles

In summary, we can find the transfer function for a system with given poles and zeros and plot its magnitude on a given interval using the distance formula and simplifying the expression.
drumercalzone

Homework Statement

If a transfer function has poles at (-1,2) and (-1,-2) and a zero at (0,0):

a) Sketch |H(jω)| on the interval 0≤ω≤10.
b) If |H(jω)| = 1, what is the approximate value of |H| at its highest point?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have the sketch down, but I'm really confused on finding the transfer function. I know that it's the distance to the zeros over the distances to the poles, but I just really don't understand how to find them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone walk me through the process?

Sure, I can walk you through the process! First, let's define the transfer function H(s), where s = jω. In this case, the transfer function is:

H(s) = (s - 0)/(s - (-1,2))(s - (-1,-2))

Next, we need to find the distances from the zeros and poles to the origin (0,0). The distance from the origin to the zero is 0, since it is located at the origin. The distance from the origin to the pole at (-1,2) is √(1^2 + 2^2) = √5. The distance from the origin to the pole at (-1,-2) is √(1^2 + (-2)^2) = √5.

Now, we can plug these values into the transfer function:

H(s) = (s - 0)/((√5 - s)(√5 + s))

To simplify this, we can use the difference of squares formula:

H(s) = s/(5 - s^2)

Next, we can plug in s = jω and solve for |H(jω)|:

|H(jω)| = |jω|/(5 - (jω)^2)

Using the fact that |jω| = ω, we can simplify this to:

|H(jω)| = ω/(5 + ω^2)

Now we can plot this function on the interval 0≤ω≤10. The function reaches its maximum value at ω = √5, where |H(j√5)| = √5/10 ≈ 0.447.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. It describes how the system responds to different inputs and is useful for analyzing and designing control systems.

2. What are poles in a transfer function?

Poles are the values of the complex variable in the transfer function that make the denominator of the function equal to zero. They represent the natural frequencies of the system and determine its stability and response characteristics.

3. How do you sketch a transfer function from its poles?

To sketch a transfer function from its poles, you first plot the location of the poles on the complex plane. Then, you draw a line connecting each pole to the origin of the plane. The transfer function is then sketched as the product of these lines, with the magnitude determined by the distance from the origin and the angle determined by the angle of the line.

4. How do you determine the transfer function from its poles?

To determine the transfer function from its poles, you need to know the order of the transfer function and the location of its poles. You can then use the general form of a transfer function for that order and plug in the values for the poles to find the coefficients.

5. What is the significance of the transfer function in control systems?

The transfer function is a fundamental tool in control systems as it allows engineers to analyze and design systems based on their desired response characteristics. It also helps in understanding the behavior of the system and making improvements to its performance.