Sketching wave equation solutions.

In summary, an infinite string obeys the wave equation (d2z/dx2)=(ρ/T)(d2z/dt2) where z is the transverse displacement, and T and ρ are the tension and the linear density of the string. The velocity of transverse traveling waves on the string can be calculated using v=√(T/ρ). Using D'Alembert's solution and the given boundary conditions, the displacement of the string at different times can be determined. Alternatively, the general solution to the wave equation on a string involves cosine and sine waves with wavelengths 2L/n. Canceling out the ct terms in the solution may not be valid and further analysis or consideration is needed.
Lucy Yeats

Homework Statement

An infinite string obeys the wave equation (d2z/dx2)=(ρ/T)(d2z/dt2) where z is the transverse displacement, and T and ρ are the tension and the linear density of the string. What is the velocity of transverse traveling waves on the string?
The string has an initial displacement
z= (h/L)(L-x) for 0<x<L, (h/L)(L+x) for -L<x<0, 0 otherwise
where h is a constant. The string is initially at rest. Sketch z(x,t) at the times
t=αL√(ρ/T) for α=0, 1/4, 1/2, and 1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

v=√(T/ρ), from the wave equation.

Using D'Alembert's solution, I get z=(h/2L)(L-(x+ct))+(h/2L)(L-(x-ct)) for 0<x<L
and z=(h/2L)(L+(x+ct))+(h/2L)(L+(x-ct)) for -L<x<0 and 0 otherwise.

But the ct terms seem to cancel, so I'm guessing I've gone wrong somewhere. :-/

Thanks in advance for any help! :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Lucy Yeats said:

Homework Statement

An infinite string obeys the wave equation (d2z/dx2)=(ρ/T)(d2z/dt2) where z is the transverse displacement, and T and ρ are the tension and the linear density of the string. What is the velocity of transverse traveling waves on the string?
The string has an initial displacement
z= (h/L)(L-x) for 0<x<L, (h/L)(L+x) for -L<x<0, 0 otherwise
where h is a constant. The string is initially at rest. Sketch z(x,t) at the times
t=αL√(ρ/T) for α=0, 1/4, 1/2, and 1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

v=√(T/ρ), from the wave equation.

Using D'Alembert's solution, I get z=(h/2L)(L-(x+ct))+(h/2L)(L-(x-ct)) for 0<x<L
and z=(h/2L)(L+(x+ct))+(h/2L)(L+(x-ct)) for -L<x<0 and 0 otherwise.

But the ct terms seem to cancel, so I'm guessing I've gone wrong somewhere. :-/

Thanks in advance for any help! :-)

I assume your boundary condition is z(x=±L, t)=0;
Now image what happens if both ends of the string are free, the initial triangular shaped wave would
separate into two half-amplitude triangles and travel toward ±∞, since the endpoints are fixed, these
two waves are immediately reflected, the reflected wave must be of the same shape, 180° out of phase
and travel in the opposite direction, so that the total displacement at the endpoints are always zero ...
Now you know how to figure out the rest.

Alternatively, if you like doing more math and less thinking, general solutions to the wave equation on
a string must be given by some cosine and sine waves of wavelengths 2L/n ...

Sorry to be slow, but why am I not allowed to cancel out the ct terms? :-/

Thanks for helping!

1. What is a wave equation?

A wave equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of waves, such as light, sound, or water waves. It relates the spatial and temporal variations of a wave's amplitude and frequency.

2. What is the purpose of sketching wave equation solutions?

The purpose of sketching wave equation solutions is to visualize and understand the behavior of a wave in a given physical system. It helps scientists and engineers to predict how a wave will propagate and interact with its surroundings.

3. What are the key components of a wave equation?

The key components of a wave equation include the wave function, which represents the amplitude of the wave, the spatial variable, and the temporal variable. It also includes parameters such as the wave speed and the wave frequency.

4. How are boundary conditions determined in wave equation solutions?

Boundary conditions are determined based on the physical characteristics of the system in which the wave is propagating. These can include the properties of the medium, the geometry of the system, and any external forces or constraints acting on the wave.

5. What are some practical applications of wave equation solutions?

Wave equation solutions have a wide range of practical applications, including in fields such as acoustics, optics, seismology, and electromagnetics. They are used to design and optimize devices such as speakers, lenses, and earthquake-resistant buildings, as well as to study the behavior of waves in different physical systems.