Skimming Boom Design, Material Selection & Bending Moments, Agri Mech.

In summary, To design a skimming boom for a biomass slurry transfer tank with a 7.5m reach, the boom should be made of 200 x 200 x 16 SHS at 91.5kg/m and should not exceed a deflection of 7mm. The weight on the loader should not exceed 300kg, and the center of gravity can be calculated by computing the moment and deflection due to the blade weight and beam self weight. Correct spacing and capitalization of unit symbols should also be followed according to international standards.
FarmerBob
I'm currently studying Agri. Mech. Eng but I need some help on this, I know roughly what to do but it's where to start:

1. Design a skimming boom for a biomass slurry transfer tank which can have a reach of 7.5m. Tool must attach to a "quick hitch" plate - factory spec for the loader is 3750Kg @ 600mm off the front of this quich hitch plate. Design to not overload the loader or have excessive deflection in the beam. Assume blade at the end of the boom no more than 100kg in weight.

2. Not sure of all the them at this stage but I'll need: mass of the boom, deflection in the boom and the applied moments to the loader I assume?

3. I think for the boom I'm going with 200 x 200 x 16 SHS at 91.5Kg/m assuming a 981N force applying at the end of the 7.5M and my calcs show a deflection of around 7mm over this length which is acceptable? But it's the weight on the loader I'm not sure about? If it's 3750 at 600mm then does it make it (3750 x 600)/7500=300kg? Also if I've the boom, blade and hitch plate (probably with strengthening webs) how do I calculate the centre of gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
FarmerBob: Compute the moment on the quick hitch plate due to the blade weight. Secondly, compute the moment on the quick hitch plate due to the beam self weight. Add these two results together to get the total moment.

Compute the cantilever deflection due to the blade weight. Secondly, compute the cantilever deflection due to the beam self weight. Add these two results together to get the total tip deflection. Your current deflection of 7 mm is incorrect. Try again.

By the way, always leave a space between a numeric value and its following unit symbol. E.g., 981 N, not 981N. See the international standard for writing units (ISO 31-0). Also, always use correct capitalization of unit symbols. Kg means kelvin gram, kg means kilogram. M means mega-, m means metre. See NIST for the correct spelling of any unit symbol.

1. What is a skimming boom and why is it important in agricultural machinery?

A skimming boom is a structural component of agricultural machinery that is designed to collect and transport harvested crops, such as hay or grain. Its design and material selection are crucial for efficient and safe operation of the machinery.

2. How is the design of a skimming boom determined?

The design of a skimming boom depends on various factors, including the type of crop, the size and weight of the machinery, and the terrain in which it will be used. Engineers use mathematical calculations and computer simulations to determine the optimal design for each specific application.

3. What materials are commonly used for skimming boom construction?

The most commonly used materials for skimming boom construction are steel and aluminum. Both have high strength-to-weight ratios and can withstand the stresses and forces involved in agricultural operations. Factors such as cost, availability, and corrosion resistance also play a role in material selection.

4. How are bending moments calculated in skimming boom design?

Bending moments are calculated by analyzing the forces and loads acting on the skimming boom, such as the weight of the crop, the weight of the machinery, and the impact of terrain. Engineers use mathematical equations and computer simulations to determine the maximum bending moments and ensure that the boom can withstand them without buckling or breaking.

5. What are the safety considerations in skimming boom design?

Safety is a crucial aspect of skimming boom design. Engineers must ensure that the boom is strong enough to withstand the stresses and forces involved in agricultural operations, while also being lightweight enough to prevent damage to the machinery or injury to operators. Safety features such as reinforcements, guards, and emergency shut-off mechanisms may also be incorporated into the design to minimize the risk of accidents.