Slab resting on two supports: Maximum weight added without tipping?

In summary, the attempted solution is in the image. The person made a mistake and wrote the expression for the force as a moment. They recommend working with the sum of moments without having to fall back to shifting lever distances.
tjosan
Homework Statement
A slab is placed on two supports. At one edge, a weight is added. How large can the weight be before the slab tips over? The slab weighs 300 kg, and the density is constant. See image for attempted solution and a drawing of the slab.
Relevant Equations
F_1*d_1=F_2*d_2
Hi,

My attempted solution is in the image:

I choose the edge on the left side, but the solution should be similar on both sides (just substitute C for A).

(I missed to multiply by "g" in F_2.)

Is this the correct way of thinking? I'm not sure about the distance "D".
slabsupport.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

I can't follow what you do on the left side:
On the right side you calculate a moment (not a force, so the use of the symbol F is misleading) WB * g * B/2

If I work out your expression for F1 I get WA * g * A + W1 * g * A/2
and it should be the other way around...

Likes tjosan
BvU said:
Hello,

I can't follow what you do on the left side:
On the right side you calculate a moment (not a force, so the use of the symbol F is misleading) WB * g * B/2

If I work out your expression for F1 I get WA * g * A + W1 * g * A/2
and it should be the other way around...
Thank you.

Yeah, made a mistake and wrote it as a force.

Are you saying it should be:
WA * g * A/2 + W1 * g * A ?

What I did on the left side, or what I tried to do, was to add the extra lever distance resulting from the weight W1, by calcuting the ratio of W1 to W1+WA and adding it to A/2 - if this makes any sense?

I suppose it makes sense but was processed erroneously.

Anyway, you should work with the sum of moments without having to fall back to shifting lever distances ! Much less error-prone :wink:

Likes tjosan
Would it requie more or less weight if W1 was placed on the corner of the slab? Is it dependant on the width?

For the direction we did the analysis in it makes no difference. For a direction into the paper we have no information

Related to Slab resting on two supports: Maximum weight added without tipping?

1. What is a slab resting on two supports?

A slab resting on two supports, also known as a cantilever slab, is a type of structural element that is supported at only two points, with one end projecting beyond the support.

2. How is the maximum weight added without tipping determined for a slab resting on two supports?

The maximum weight added without tipping for a slab resting on two supports is determined by calculating the tipping moment, which is the product of the weight of the load and the distance from the support to the edge of the slab. This moment must be less than the resisting moment, which is the product of the weight of the slab and the distance from the support to the center of the slab.

3. What factors affect the maximum weight added without tipping for a slab resting on two supports?

The maximum weight added without tipping for a slab resting on two supports is affected by several factors, including the strength and stiffness of the supporting structure, the dimensions and material properties of the slab, and the location and distribution of the load on the slab.

4. Can the maximum weight added without tipping be increased for a slab resting on two supports?

Yes, the maximum weight added without tipping can be increased by increasing the strength and stiffness of the supporting structure, using a stronger or thicker slab, or by distributing the load more evenly across the slab.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when determining the maximum weight added without tipping for a slab resting on two supports?

Yes, it is important to ensure that the calculated maximum weight added without tipping is within the safety limits of the supporting structure and the slab. It is also important to consider any potential changes or alterations to the load or supporting structure that could affect the stability of the slab.