Slackware Partitioning Problem

• Thread starter franznietzsche
  • Start date
In summary: You might want to try compiling your own kernel. See the link I provided for more information. :confused: You might want to try compiling your own kernel. See the link I provided for more information.
franznietzsche
I'm trying to install slackware 10.0 on my computer, as a 3rd OS, with WinXP, and Fedora Core 3 already installed.

I download the isos, check the md5s, they match. I boot from the slackware disc, and from then on its nothing but problems. For some reason fdisk will not access my hard disk to format it. I quit out, run fdisk in fedora to format the "unallocated space" as a linux partition. It works fine. I reboot on the slackware install disk. It tells me there is no swap space (there is since I'm already running fedora), and it tells me there are no linux partitions detected (there are 4 linux partitions, 1 boot, 1 root, 1 home and 1 blank that I'm trying to install slackware to.

my hard drive is at /dev/sda but it tells me its unable to access it. Again, fdisk under fedora had no problem pulling it up.

I'm completely stuck as to what to do. ANy ideas?

Also: running cfdisk just brings up a fatal error.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Run the install with a 2.6.x kernel. I think you can specify to use one when you're booting the install.'

EDIT: Come to think of it, maybe not. You'll have to use a boot disk.
/ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-current/bootdisks/[/URL]
or check this out
[URL=http://4elements.4mg.com/#top.]http://4elements.4mg.com/#top.[/URL]

Hope this helps :smile: :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
gazzo said:
Hope this helps :smile: :rofl:

I don't get the funny...

At any rate I'm dowloading the SATA iso, hopefully that will work.

I actually don't have a floppy drive (haven't used a flppy in years, didn't expect to suddenly need one)

franznietzsche said:
I don't get the funny...

At any rate I'm dowloading the SATA iso, hopefully that will work.

I actually don't have a floppy drive (haven't used a flppy in years, didn't expect to suddenly need one)

It sounds like Slackware isn't seeing your IDE controller. This is pretty common if you have a Promise, Adaptec, etc.

As suggested, try booting the 2.6.x kernel and see what happens. Perhaps the Slackware developers decided to compile in support for your IDE controller.

well the sata.i did nothing to fix the problem.

how do i run the install with 2.6.x? i can't find anything on how to do this.

gazzo said:
Run the install with a 2.6.x kernel. I think you can specify to use one when you're booting the install.'

EDIT: Come to think of it, maybe not. You'll have to use a boot disk.
/ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-current/bootdisks/[/URL]
or check this out
[URL=http://4elements.4mg.com/#top.]http://4elements.4mg.com/#top.[/URL]

Hope this helps :smile: :rofl:[/QUOTE]

those boot disks are all kernel 2.4, is there actually anyway to boot 2.6 to install from? as far as I've found there is not. I can't even find a similar case of this problem anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
do u have an old PATA hard drive?

You could always do an install onto that, compile a brand new 2.6.10 on it, then copy everything over to the SATA once it's setup? =o

NO i only have the SATA hard drive. i tried to set it to "legacy ATA" but i could not find any place in BIOS options to set that.

checkout http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?postid=960957#post960957 thread.

I think the 2.6.7 kernel is in the testing directory on CD2. can you specifiy it during install ?

:confused:

1. What is the Slackware Partitioning Problem?

The Slackware Partitioning Problem refers to a common issue encountered when trying to install the Slackware Linux operating system. It occurs when the user is unable to properly partition their hard drive during the installation process.

2. What causes the Slackware Partitioning Problem?

The Slackware Partitioning Problem can be caused by a variety of factors, including incorrect partitioning settings, incompatible hardware, or a corrupted installation media.

3. How can I fix the Slackware Partitioning Problem?

The first step in fixing the Slackware Partitioning Problem is to carefully review and adjust the partitioning settings during the installation process. Additionally, ensuring that all hardware is compatible and using a reliable installation media can help prevent the problem from occurring.

4. Are there any specific steps I should follow to avoid the Slackware Partitioning Problem?

Yes, there are several steps you can follow to avoid the Slackware Partitioning Problem. These include thoroughly researching your hardware compatibility, carefully reviewing and adjusting partitioning settings during installation, and using a reliable installation media.

5. What should I do if I continue to encounter the Slackware Partitioning Problem?

If you continue to encounter the Slackware Partitioning Problem, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a more experienced user or seek support from the Slackware community. You may also want to consider using a different distribution of Linux that may be better suited for your hardware and needs.