Solving for Launch Speed: Cal & Henry's Sled Jump

In summary, Cal and Henry launch off the first ramp at a speed of VL. They reach the peak of the second ramp and land exactly at the point. This results in a speed of V2L.
joemama69

Homework Statement

Cal and Henry are riding on a sled. They are trying to jump the gap between two symmetrical ramps of snow separated by a distance W . Each ramp makes an angle θ with the horizontal. They launch off the first ramp with a speed VL. Cal, Henry and the sled have a total mass m.

Find the initial launch speed VL that will result in the sled landing exactly at
the peak of the second ramp. Express your answer in terms of some (or all) of the parameters m, θ, W, and the acceleration of gravity g, Include in your answer a brief description of the strategy that you used and any diagrams or graphs that you have chosen for solving this problem. Make sure you clearly state which concepts you plan to use to calculate any relevant physical quantities.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

y = yo + vyt - .5gt2

I set y = yo because they first & second ramp are the same, so they cancel out

0 = vyt - .5gt2

v = [tex]\frac{4.9t}{sin\theta}[/tex]

the answer is this ... v = (gW / sin 2θ)1/2

I can't understand how they get that, can i get a hint

Physics news on Phys.org
As in all trajectory problems you must find the vertical and horizontal components of the initial velocity. Then make two headings
HORIZONTAL and VERTICAL
Ask yourself whether there is constant speed or accelerated motion in each case and write the appropriate formula(s). Fill in the information you have and solve one of the formulas for time. Sub the time into the others to get the info you want.

for the x direction

x = xo + vxt

x = 0 + vcos[tex]\theta[/tex]t

t = x / (vcos[tex]\theta[/tex])

v = gt/2sin[tex]\theta[/tex] = g(x / (vcos[tex]\theta[/tex]))/2sin[tex]\theta[/tex] = gx / 2vsin[tex]\theta[/tex]cos[tex]\theta[/tex] = (gx/sin2[tex]\theta[/tex]).5

i think i got it

The first 3 lines look good, though x should be replaced by w. I don't know what that v= line is about.
For the y direction, you should write two equations:

d = Vi*t + .5*a*t^2 and V = Vi + a*t
and put your numbers into both.

the v is from my original post, and then i proceded to substitute in the t, I got the correct answer, thanks for ur help

1. What is "Solving for Launch Speed: Cal & Henry's Sled Jump"?

"Solving for Launch Speed: Cal & Henry's Sled Jump" is a physics problem that involves calculating the launch speed of a sled based on the distance it travels and the angle of the launch ramp. It is a common problem used to teach students about projectile motion and the equations of motion.

2. How is launch speed calculated in "Solving for Launch Speed: Cal & Henry's Sled Jump"?

In order to calculate launch speed, you will need to use the equation: v = (d/t) / cos(θ), where v is the launch speed, d is the distance traveled, t is the time of flight, and θ is the launch angle. You will need to know at least three of these variables to solve for the launch speed.

3. What is the importance of "Solving for Launch Speed: Cal & Henry's Sled Jump" in science education?

"Solving for Launch Speed: Cal & Henry's Sled Jump" is an important problem in science education because it helps students understand the principles of projectile motion and how to apply mathematical equations to real-life situations. It also allows students to practice critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. What are some variables that can affect the launch speed in "Solving for Launch Speed: Cal & Henry's Sled Jump"?

Some variables that can affect the launch speed include the angle of the launch ramp, the mass of the sled, the surface of the ramp, and air resistance. These variables can impact the distance traveled and the time of flight, ultimately affecting the launch speed.

5. How can "Solving for Launch Speed: Cal & Henry's Sled Jump" be applied in the real world?

The principles and equations used in "Solving for Launch Speed: Cal & Henry's Sled Jump" can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as calculating the launch speed of a rocket or a ball thrown in a sport. It can also be used in engineering projects, such as designing a roller coaster or a launching mechanism for a catapult.