How Fast Will Zeke Slide Down the Hill?

• Thread starter batman617
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, Zeke, with a mass of 76 kg, slides down a snow hill on a 2 kg rubber mat. Disregarding frictional forces, the speed at which they are moving when 1.2 m below the crest can be calculated using the equation v = √(2gh). After plugging in the values, the resulting speed is approximately 4.85 m/s. However, there may be some discrepancies as another person got a different answer.
batman617

Homework Statement

Zeke begins to slide down a snow hill on a rubber mat. Zeke's mass is 76 kg and that of the mat is 2kg.

Homework Equations

Disregarding frictional forces, how fast are they moving when they are 1.2 m below the crest?

The Attempt at a Solution

v=(square root)2gh
v=(square root)(2)(9.8)(-1.2)
v=4.85 m/s

I don't think this is even close to being right, as a friend who I just got done talking to (and is 10x smarter than me) said he got a completely different answer.

By the way, hello everyone! I just signed up, hoping to learn to understand physics better.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, we do hope you understand better from now on.

Does the problem mention 1.2 m vertically below the crest or 1.2 m along the slope?

If it's the first case, your eqn is correct, except for the minus sign under the sqrt. Is that possible?

If it's the second case, you'll have to take the component of g along the slope.

I love the subject but I'm not that great at it.

Hello! I would approach this problem by first defining the variables and assumptions. The mass of Zeke and the mat are given, but we also need to consider the acceleration due to gravity (g), which is assumed to be 9.8 m/s^2. We are also disregarding frictional forces, which means that the only force acting on Zeke and the mat is the force of gravity.

Next, we can use the equation for gravitational potential energy (PE = mgh) to find the initial potential energy of Zeke and the mat at the top of the hill. This can then be converted into kinetic energy (KE = 1/2mv^2) as they slide down the hill.

Using conservation of energy, we can equate the initial potential energy to the final kinetic energy. This will give us the final velocity (v) at 1.2 m below the crest.

So, the equation would be: mgh = 1/2mv^2

76 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 * 1.2 m = 1/2 * (76 kg + 2 kg) * v^2

v = 4.89 m/s

This is slightly different from your friend's answer, but it is within a reasonable range. It's always good to check your calculations and assumptions to make sure you're on the right track. I hope this helps!

What is "Sledding Energy"?

"Sledding Energy" refers to the amount of energy required to move a sled or other object down a snowy or icy surface. It is influenced by factors such as the weight of the sled, the slope of the surface, and the type of snow or ice present.

How is "Sledding Energy" calculated?

"Sledding Energy" is typically calculated using the principles of physics, specifically Newton's second law of motion (F=ma). This equation takes into account the mass of the sled and the acceleration due to gravity, as well as any additional forces acting on the sled, such as friction or air resistance.

What affects the amount of "Sledding Energy" needed?

The amount of "Sledding Energy" needed can be affected by a variety of factors. These include the weight and design of the sled, the slope and condition of the surface, the air resistance, and the presence of any additional drag from objects or people on the sled.

Can "Sledding Energy" be reduced?

Yes, there are ways to reduce the amount of "Sledding Energy" needed. This can include using a lighter sled, choosing a smoother and steeper slope, minimizing air resistance by streamlining the sled, and reducing the overall weight of the sled and its passengers.

How can the study of "Sledding Energy" be applied in real life?

The study of "Sledding Energy" can have practical applications in fields such as engineering, sports, and recreation. Understanding the principles of energy and motion can help in designing more efficient sleds and other winter equipment, as well as improving performance in sports such as bobsledding and skeleton. It can also be used to enhance safety and enjoyment in recreational activities like sledding and tubing.