Solving a Collar's Angular Momentum Problem: Finding f(θ) and Max θ Reached

In summary, the problem involves a collar initially at rest with theta = 0 and the goal is to find \dot\theta=f(\theta) and the maximum theta reached. The collar undergoes three forces - m\mathbf{g}, \mathbf{N}, \mathbf{F}_{ext} - and the maximum angle is reached at equilibrium. The external force acts on the frame, not on the collar. The non-inertial frame method can be used to calculate the acceleration and find the answer.
harmyder

Homework Statement

Initially collar is at rest with theta = 0. Find [tex]\dot\theta=f(\theta).[/tex] And find maximum theta reached.

upload_2016-2-16_11-14-0.png

Homework Equations

I don't know if i allowed to use angular momentum about top-right frame corner as it's accelerating.

But i definitely will need second Newton law:)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that there mg, N forces. But i can't figure out another force due to acceleration of the frame.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you comfortable using non-inertial frames of reference?

haruspex said:
Are you comfortable using non-inertial frames of reference?

I think I'm not, but i believe there is no need in it here. Important thing is that i need to calculate θ' based on θ not on t.

harmyder said:
I think I'm not, but i believe there is no need in it here. Important thing is that i need to calculate θ' based on θ not on t.
It does help here, but it is never essential.
What force/acceleration equations can you write? It doesn't matter if you think they are wrong or incomplete, just post what you get.

Likes harmyder
haruspex said:
What force/acceleration equations can you write? It doesn't matter if you think they are wrong or incomplete, just post what you get.

The collar undergoes three forces - [itex]m\mathbf{g}, \mathbf{N}, \mathbf{F}_{ext}[/itex]. From which [itex]|m\mathbf{g}|=|N|[/itex], though i can't prove it.

With angle [itex]\theta[/itex] we have:
[itex]|m\mathbf{g}|[/itex] acting downward and [itex]\big(|\mathbf{N}| + |\mathbf{F}_{ext}|\big)\cos\theta[/itex] acting upward.

The maximum angle is reached with equilibrium.

And here i can't calculate the external force.

harmyder said:
The collar undergoes three forces - [itex]m\mathbf{g}, \mathbf{N}, \mathbf{F}_{ext}[/itex]. From which [itex]|m\mathbf{g}|=|N|[/itex], though i can't prove it.

With angle [itex]\theta[/itex] we have:
[itex]|m\mathbf{g}|[/itex] acting downward and [itex]\big(|\mathbf{N}| + |\mathbf{F}_{ext}|\big)\cos\theta[/itex] acting upward.

The maximum angle is reached with equilibrium.

And here i can't calculate the external force.
The external force acts on the frame, not on the collar.
Why do you think |mg|=|N|? Consider horizontal and vertical separately.

haruspex said:

I can't come up with solution in [itex]\hat{i}\times\hat{j}[/itex] frame.
sliding_collar.png

Maybe i need to consider tangential parts of [itex]mg[/itex] and anther force, i think this another force is [itex]ma[/itex]? When they become equal, then no more change of angle.

The original post said "Initially collar is at rest with theta = 0" and according to the picture "theta= 0" is at the bottom! The collar won't move- [itex]\theta'= 0[/itex]. If you intended to the initial point to be at the top, with "theta" measured from the top, then, at each [itex]\theta[/itex], the downward acceleration vector, <0, -g>, can be written as the sum of two vectors, one parallel to the normal vector circular bar and one parallel to the tangent vector. Since the collar can't move normal to the bar, only the tangent vector is relevant.

HallsofIvy said:
The original post said "Initially collar is at rest with theta = 0" and according to the picture "theta= 0" is at the bottom! The collar won't move- [itex]\theta'= 0[/itex].
Have you noticed rightward horizontal acceleration of the frame?

harmyder said:
Maybe i need to consider tangential parts of [itex]mg[/itex] and anther force, i think this another force is [itex]ma[/itex]? When they become equal, then no more change of angle.
That is the non-inertial frame method I mentioned. You treat the acceleration as a 'fictitious' force ma acting the other way.
So what answer do you get?

harmyder said:
Have you noticed rightward horizontal acceleration of the frame?
NO! I hadn't. Thanks.

FAQ: Solving a Collar's Angular Momentum Problem: Finding f(θ) and Max θ Reached

1. How do I solve a collar's angular momentum problem?

To solve a collar's angular momentum problem, you will need to use the equation for angular momentum, L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity. You will also need to use the conservation of angular momentum principle, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. By setting the initial and final angular momentum equal to each other, you can solve for the unknown variables.

2. What is f(θ) in the context of a collar's angular momentum problem?

f(θ) represents the angular displacement of the collar, or the angle at which the collar is tilted from its initial position. This value is important in determining the maximum angle reached by the collar.

3. What is the significance of finding the maximum angle (Max θ) in a collar's angular momentum problem?

The maximum angle reached by the collar is important because it tells us the maximum potential energy the system can have before reaching equilibrium. It also helps us understand the behavior of the system and how it will move under the influence of angular momentum.

4. Can I use the same approach to solve any collar's angular momentum problem?

Yes, the same approach can be used for any collar's angular momentum problem. However, the specific values for moment of inertia and angular velocity may vary depending on the specific system and its properties.

5. Are there any real-world applications of solving a collar's angular momentum problem?

Yes, solving a collar's angular momentum problem has many real-world applications, such as in engineering and physics. For example, it can help in designing and understanding the movement of rotating machinery, or in predicting the behavior of objects in orbit.

Back