Sliding ladder leaning against wall, and a triangle of maximum area

In summary, the angle between the beam and the ground is changing rapidly when the bottom of the beam is 18 meters from the wall.
punjabi_monster
Hello,
Below are two questions i am unsure of. :rolleyes: Can someone please verify my answers and tell me if i am doing something wrong. thank-you for your help. :smile:

1. A rigid beam 30 m long is leaning against a vertical wall. If the bottom of the beam is pulled horizontally away from the wall at 3 m/s, how fast is the angle between the beam and the ground changing when the bottom of the beam is 18 m from the wall?

sinθ = y/30

cosθ = 18/30
θ= 53.13

A= bh/2
A= [(x)(30sinθ)] / 2
A'= [(30sinθ) (dx/dt) + (x)(30cosθ) (dθ/dt)] / 2
0= [30sin(53.13) (3) + (18)(30cos53.13) (dθ/dt)] / 2
dθ/dt= -6.67 m/s

2.Triangle ABC is inscribed in a semicircle with diameter BC=12 cm. Find the value of angle B that produces the triangle of maximum area.
Hint: An angle inscribed in a semi-circle is a right triangle.

A=bh/2
A=(12cosB)(12sinB)
=72(2cosBsinB)
=72(sin2B)
A'=72(cos2B)
0=72cos2B
cos2B=0
2B=90°
B=45°

i got sin2B using the trig double angle forumla sin2x=2sinxcosx

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a very elegant approach for the second problem. No calculus required (!) :

[tex] A_{\mbox{triangle}} =\frac{AB\cdot AC}{2} [/tex] (1)

Constraint, following Pythagora's theorem

[tex] AB^{2}+AC^{2}=12^{2} [/tex] (2)

(2) can be written

[tex] \left(AB-AC\right)^{2} =12^{2}-2 AB\cdot AC [/tex] (2')

U impose that the product (which by (1)is ~Area) be maximum, therefore the RHS would have to be minimum. Since the LHS can be no less than 0, one gets that it has to be 0.

[tex] AB=AC \Rightarrow \hat{CBA} =45 \mbox{deg} [/tex]

Daniel.

thanks...but is the first question right?

The reasoning is okay. The area of the triangle is indeed constant. I didn't check the numbers. I hope they're okay.

Daniel.

punjabi_monster said:
=72(sin2B)
A'=72(cos2B)
0=72cos2B

You forgot the chain rule here, but in the end it didn't affect your answer.

[tex]A = 72\sin{(2B)}[/tex]
[tex]A' = 72\cos{(2B)}*2[/tex]

dextercioby said:
The reasoning is okay. The area of the triangle is indeed constant. I didn't check the numbers. I hope they're okay.

Daniel.
Are you referring to problem 1? Why would the area be constant? The area goes to 0 as the beam falls to the floor. What is definitely constant is the length of the beam- the length of the hypotenuse: Pythagorean theorem: x2+ y2= 900 where x is the distance of the bottom of the beam from the wall and y is the height of the other end up the wall. Differentiating with respect to t,
2xx'+ 2yy'= 0. At the given instant, x= 18 so y= [tex]\sqrt{900-18^2}= \sqrt{576}= 24. 18(3)+ 24(y')= 0 so y'= -54/24= -2.25. y= 30 sin(θ) so
y'= 30 cos(θ)θ'. When x= 18, &theta= 53.13 degrees and
cos(53.13)= 0.6000. -2.25= (30)(0.6)(θ') so θ'= (-2.25)/(18)= -.125 or -1/8 degrees per second.

Related to Sliding ladder leaning against wall, and a triangle of maximum area

1. How does a sliding ladder leaning against a wall create a triangle of maximum area?

When a ladder is placed against a wall, it forms a right triangle with the ground and the wall. The ladder can slide vertically along the wall, creating different triangles with varying areas. The triangle of maximum area is achieved when the ladder is positioned at a 45-degree angle with the ground, creating an isosceles right triangle.

2. What is the significance of finding the maximum area of the triangle?

The maximum area of the triangle is important because it represents the most stable position for the ladder. When the ladder is at a 45-degree angle, it is less likely to slip or fall, making it the safest position for use. Additionally, knowing the maximum area can help in determining the appropriate length for a ladder needed to reach a certain height.

3. How is the maximum area of the triangle calculated?

The maximum area of the triangle can be calculated using the formula A = 1/2 * b * h, where b is the base of the triangle (length of the ladder) and h is the height of the triangle. In this case, the height is equal to half the length of the ladder. By substituting the values, the formula becomes A = 1/2 * L * L/2 = L^2/4, where L is the length of the ladder.

4. Can the maximum area of the triangle change with different lengths of the ladder?

Yes, the maximum area of the triangle will change with different lengths of the ladder. As the length of the ladder increases, the maximum area of the triangle also increases. This is because a longer ladder can create a larger triangle with a larger base and height, resulting in a greater area. However, the maximum area will always be achieved when the ladder is at a 45-degree angle, regardless of its length.

5. Are there any real-life applications for the concept of the sliding ladder and maximum area triangle?

Yes, the concept of the sliding ladder and maximum area triangle is used in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and construction. It is also relevant in everyday tasks such as setting up a ladder for painting or changing a lightbulb. Understanding the maximum area of the triangle can help in determining the safest and most efficient way to use a ladder in various situations.