1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slip system

1. Sep 24, 2008 #1
    Hello,

Recently,I study about the slip systems of metals which regarding to the material science subject.
    For face centered cubic(FCC),it slip system is {111}<110>.Hence the number of slip systems is 12.The{111}is the family for (111), (-111), (1-11), (11-1),(sorry´╝ü-1 means a bar line on top of 1).
    From what I study about{111}which is the family,it not just containing those few crystallographic planes that I listed out on top,but why other planes are not consider as slip planes for FCC?

Thanks very much, I appreciate any insight.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2008 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Slip can occur on other planes, but it's especially easy for a dislocation to move in the close-packed direction along a close-packed plane. For fcc crystals, this means {111}<110>. For bcc, it's {110}<111> (the close-packed direction on the closest-packed plane--there is no perfectly close-packed plane in bcc).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?