SLORWhat is the first derivative of a sinusoidal function?

In summary: I also have the...In summary, the roller coaster tracks start from the lowest point of the sinusoidal curve and reach a maximum height of 66 meters. The tracks return to the surface of the park for the first time at 198 meters. The slope of the roller coaster track at 132 meters from the starting point is 6.28 radians per meters.
music_man05
The height of the tracks of a roller coaster varies sinusoidally with the horizontal distance from its starting point. The roller coaster tracks start from the lowest point of the sinusoidal curve and reach a maximum height of 66 meters. The tracks return to the surface of the park for the first time at 198 meters. What is the slope of the roller coaster track at 132 meters from the starting point?

_________radians

All I can think of is to start with slope

slope is given by the derrivative.

y = sin x for the wave.

Therefore,

y= cos x

Anything beyond that is kinda fuzzy, any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe if I throw some more thinking out there..I went this route...

since the max height is 66. the amplitude is 33. the wavelength is 198 =
lamda.

thus the equation for the wave is

y = amplitude sin (x/lamda * 2 pi)

y = 33 sin (x / 198 * 6.28 + 3 pi / 2 ) the 3 pi/2 is the minium point on
a sin curve.

the first derrivative would be :

y' = 33 cos ( x /198 * 6.28 + 3 pi / 2 ) * (6.28/198)

What do I solve for? is y' = 0?

music_man05 said:
The height of the tracks of a roller coaster varies sinusoidally with the horizontal distance from its starting point. The roller coaster tracks start from the lowest point of the sinusoidal curve and reach a maximum height of 66 meters. The tracks return to the surface of the park for the first time at 198 meters. What is the slope of the roller coaster track at 132 meters from the starting point?

_________radians

All I can think of is to start with slope

slope is given by the derrivative.

y = sin x for the wave.

Therefore,

y= cos x

Anything beyond that is kinda fuzzy, any help would be appreciated.
Height, y, is proportional to a sinusoidal function of x, not necessarily equal to sinx.

I think you have to assume that the bottom of the 'troughs' of this sine curve are at ground level. So ground level is, in effect, at maximum negative amplitude.

Write the general form of the equation for y (height above ground), which should contain constants for the amplitude (max. vertical distance from the middle of the sine curve), 'wavelength' and 'phase shift' of the sin curve.

How is the 66 metres related to the "amplitude"?

What does the 198 metre distance represent in terms of the 'wavelength'?

That should give you the equation for the track. Just plug in x=132 to determine y.

AM

I also have the...

I have the same type of problem, yet I still find myself confused. Are you talking about y=a*sin(b*x-c)+d. Where a, b, c, and d are the constants which modulate the sine curve? In this case my maximum height for the coaster is 70.6666666666667 meters(I'm not joking about the accuracy). So, I thought perhaps using the height for a, then for b I used 2pi divided by the horizontal distance, for c i used pi/2, and for d I used 1. Now if i remember correctly, taking the derivative would mean that constant d is completely arbitrary? Correct me if I'm wrong, I just need to know where do go from here to get the slope...or what I have to undo. Thanks for the help.

p.s. My other given numbers where horizontal distance of coaster =212m, and I'm supposed to find the slope at 141.3333333333337m( I seriously hate randomly generated numbers for problems).

music_man05 said:
the first derrivative would be :

y' = 33 cos ( x /198 * 6.28 + 3 pi / 2 ) * (6.28/198)

What do I solve for? is y' = 0?
Use the chain rule to differentiate y = f(g(x)) where [itex]f(x) = Asin(g(x))[/itex] and [itex]g(x) = \frac{2\pi}{\lambda}x + \phi[/itex]
AM

Related to SLORWhat is the first derivative of a sinusoidal function?

What is "Rollercoaster Calculus"?

"Rollercoaster Calculus" is the application of calculus principles to the design and analysis of rollercoasters. It involves using mathematical concepts such as derivatives, integrals, and optimization to understand the motion, forces, and energy involved in a rollercoaster's movement.

Why is calculus important in rollercoaster design?

Calculus is important in rollercoaster design because it allows engineers to accurately model and predict the behavior of the rollercoaster. By using calculus, they can calculate the forces, velocities, and accelerations at various points on the ride, ensuring that it is safe and enjoyable for riders.

What are some real-life applications of "Rollercoaster Calculus"?

Apart from designing and analyzing rollercoasters, "Rollercoaster Calculus" has real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and architecture. It can also be applied to other types of amusement park rides, such as water slides and zip lines.

What are some key concepts in "Rollercoaster Calculus"?

Key concepts in "Rollercoaster Calculus" include understanding motion and forces, using derivatives to calculate slopes and rates of change, using integrals to calculate areas and accumulated values, and optimizing the design of the rollercoaster for maximum safety and thrill.

Do you need to be a math expert to understand "Rollercoaster Calculus"?

While a strong understanding of calculus is necessary to fully grasp the concepts and applications of "Rollercoaster Calculus", it is not necessary to be a math expert. With some basic knowledge of calculus, anyone can learn and appreciate the principles behind designing and analyzing rollercoasters.