Slowing Down a Photon - Does It Make Sense?

• Thread starter karatemonkey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photon
In summary: The group velocity of the EM field is what is slowed, not the individual photons that make up the field.In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a photon in relation to its speed and the concept of Lorentz transformation. It is agreed that a photon always travels at c, but in materials the group velocity of the EM field can be slowed down, not the individual photons. The idea of using Minkowski's space is also brought up.
karatemonkey
Slowing down a photon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does a single unique photon ever not travel at c in the same inertial frame?
I'm stuck on the apparent problems with applying the Lorentz transformation to a photon. I don't think it makes sense physically to apply them to a photon. Talking about moving photons from rest to c, I don't think happens or even makes sense. When light is slowed down, isn't that really the group velocity of the EM field that gets slowed from which photons are emitted.
Anyway, enough rambling help!

Physics news on Phys.org
A photon always travels at c.
If you Lorentz transform, you will still get c.

Ok, so I got through the photons always have velocity c in any inertial frame part, which includes photons created inside a semi-conductor laser or in some EIT material,
I'm now stuck on how to reconcile photon velocity and the speed light slowing in EIT experiments. More specifically, is it proper to talk of the EM field taking up and giving back mass from the energy of the photons, and that the taking up and giving back by the field acts as a curvature of space-time? Is that even possible?

The speed of light* is only equal to c in vacuum. In other materials the speed of light can be less than c.

*Classical Maxwell-type speed of light, I don't know about for individual photons in a QM type analysis.

Last edited:
In a superfluid light can be slowed to a few miles per hour. As for if you mean in a vacuum yes in all frames of reference, except of course the photons own frame of reference it will be traveling at c.

I have heard physics profs say many a times that using Minkowski's space to understand such things is more profitable. It clears most of the so-called paradoxes.

Cheers

the speed of an individual photon is always c. when a photon travels through a material it can take a zig zag path to the other side as its affected by the atoms in the material so it will take longer to get to the other side and is effectively slowed down.

Related to Slowing Down a Photon - Does It Make Sense?

1. Does slowing down a photon violate the laws of physics?

No, slowing down a photon does not violate the laws of physics. The laws of physics allow for the manipulation of the speed of light through various mediums, such as glass or water. However, the speed of light in a vacuum remains constant at 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. How is it possible to slow down a photon?

Slowing down a photon is achieved by passing it through a medium that has a higher refractive index than the medium the photon is currently traveling through. This causes the photon to interact more frequently with the atoms in the medium, resulting in a decrease in its speed.

3. Why would someone want to slow down a photon?

Slowing down a photon can be useful in certain situations, such as in fiber optic communication where it allows for the transmission of information over longer distances without losing signal strength. It can also be used in experiments to study the behavior of light in different mediums.

4. Does slowing down a photon affect its energy?

Yes, slowing down a photon does affect its energy. According to the equation E=hc/λ, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength, the energy of a photon is directly related to its wavelength. As the photon's speed decreases, its wavelength also decreases, resulting in a change in energy.

5. Is it possible to completely stop a photon?

No, it is not possible to completely stop a photon. According to the laws of physics, a photon can only travel at the speed of light in a vacuum. However, it is possible to slow it down to incredibly low speeds, approaching but never reaching a complete stop.