Small oscillations: diagonal matrix

In summary, the conversation is about solving an exercise on small oscillations and finding the auto-frequencies and normal modes using the kinetic and hessian matrices. The normal modes are given by split oscillations of the two coordinates, and the general solution of motion is a combination of these modes. There was a slight mistake in the values of omega, but the solution was corrected by finding the eigenvectors. The conversation ends with confirmation that the work is correct.
bznm

Homework Statement

I'm solving an exercise about small oscillations.

I name [itex]T[/itex] the kinetic matrix and $H$ the hessian matrix of potential.

The matrix [itex]\omega^2 T- H[/itex] is diagonal and so find the auto-frequencies is easy! But I have a problem with normal modes. The lagrangian coordinates are two angles, [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex].

$$\omega^2T-H(\theta, \phi)=\begin{pmatrix}m\omega^2-m \Omega &&&0 \\
0&&&M\omega^2-k
\end{pmatrix}$$

Normal modes are given by splitted oscillations of the two coordinates. Is it correct? Are they given by:
[itex]\theta(t)=A_1 \cos(\Omega t+ \alpha_1)[/itex] and [itex]\phi(t)=A_2(\cos \frac{k}{M} t+\alpha_2)[/itex]? ([itex]A_1, A_2[/itex]= constants depending on initial conditions)

And is the general solution of motion given by $$\theta(t)+\phi(t)=A_1 \cos(\Omega t+ \alpha_1)+A_2(\cos \frac{k}{M} t+\alpha_2)$$?

Physics news on Phys.org
looks pretty good. Except one slight mistake. hint: check the values of omega.

BruceW said:
looks pretty good. Except one slight mistake. hint: check the values of omega.

Thanks for your answer!
I have forgotten the square for ω..

But I have a doubt:
If I find the eigenvectors, I obtain:

- If [itex]\omega^2=\Omega[/itex]
the eigenvector is (μ_1,0)

- if [itex]\omega^2=k/M[/itex]
the eigenvector is (0, μ_2)

where μ_1 and μ_2 belong to ℝ.

So, the correct solution of motion, introduced the q_i coordinates that shift the origin of the system in the point of equilibrium, should be:

[itex]{\bf q}(t)=A_1 cos (\sqrt(\omega)t+\alpha_1) \begin{pmatrix}\mu_1\\0 \end{pmatrix}+A_2 cos (\sqrt(k/M)t+\alpha_2) \begin{pmatrix}0\\μ_2 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

is it correct? thanks again

Last edited:
yeah, that all agrees with the matrix equation you wrote in the first post. Except one thing. You have written the eigenvectors the wrong way around. The whole idea of the normal mode method is that the matrix you wrote, when acting on an eigenvector, should give a zero vector. So when omega squared equal k/M, then what should the eigenvector be?

Edit: woops, ah sorry sorry. You did write them the correct way around. I didn't take the time to look at the matrix product carefully enough. So all your work is correct.

Thank you so much!

no worries! you had pretty much done it already.

1. What are small oscillations?

Small oscillations are periodic movements or vibrations that occur around a stable equilibrium point. These oscillations are small in amplitude and can be described using linear equations.

2. What is a diagonal matrix?

A diagonal matrix is a special type of square matrix where all the elements outside of the main diagonal are zero. The main diagonal consists of the entries from the top left to the bottom right of the matrix.

3. How are small oscillations related to diagonal matrices?

In the context of physics, small oscillations can be described using a system of linear equations. These equations can be represented in matrix form, with the coefficients of the equations forming a diagonal matrix. This matrix represents the properties of the system and can be used to analyze the behavior of small oscillations.

4. Can a diagonal matrix only be used to describe small oscillations?

No, diagonal matrices can be used in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as solving systems of linear equations, representing transformations in linear algebra, and in quantum mechanics. However, they are particularly useful in describing small oscillations due to their simplicity and ability to represent linear systems.

5. How are small oscillations typically analyzed using diagonal matrices?

Small oscillations can be analyzed by finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the diagonal matrix. The eigenvalues represent the frequencies of the oscillations, while the eigenvectors represent the corresponding modes of oscillation. This analysis can provide insights into the behavior and stability of the system.