Small signal analysis of a cascode amplifier

In summary, the voltage gain of a cascode amplifier can be determined by using the small signal analysis and eliminating M2 due to the presence of a current source. The resulting voltage gain is given by Av = -gm1*Rds1*(1+gm2*Rds2). However, this expression assumes an infinite load on Vout and may not be accurate for finite loads.
mulothecook
Hello there.

I am stuck trying to figure out the voltage gain of a cascode amplifier from a small signal analysis. The circuit seems to be under-determined for reasons I do not understand or maybe I am missing the perfectly obvious.

Here's my small signal model:
?temp_hash=c064e565f691e7abb408df22a4274b09.png

The only relation I can deduce without using further unknown quantities is the KCL for the vx node:
%7Bds2%7D%7D%20%3D%20v_%7Bin%7D%5Ccdot%20g_%7Bm1%7D%20+%20%5Cfrac%7Bv_x%7D%7Br_%7Bds1%7D%7D.gif

However, I need another relation to eliminate vx in order to solve for vout/vin. The small signal analysis without the cascode works just fine. May I kindly ask somebody to clarify this?M

Attachments

• cascode_ssm.png
    cascode_ssm.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 1,011
Engineering news on Phys.org
Since you have a current source supplying the M2 FET, you can eliminate M2 and the voltage gain is the same as it would be without M2, namely Vout/Vin = -gm1*Rds1.

The small signal at Vx is the same as it is at Vout as long as the load on Vout is infinite, which is the impedance of the current source feeding the drain of M2. With a finite load on Vout, this will not be the result.

The Electrician said:
Since you have a current source supplying the M2 FET, you can eliminate M2 and the voltage gain is the same as it would be without M2, namely Vout/Vin = -gm1*Rds1.

Could you explain why this is the case?

1. What is a cascode amplifier?

A cascode amplifier is a type of electronic amplifier circuit that consists of a common-emitter amplifier connected to a common-base amplifier. This configuration allows for high gain, high bandwidth, and low distortion.

2. What is small signal analysis and why is it important in a cascode amplifier?

Small signal analysis is a method used to analyze the behaviour of a circuit around a certain operating point. In a cascode amplifier, small signal analysis is important because it allows us to determine the small signal voltage and current gain, as well as the input and output impedance of the circuit.

3. How is the gain of a cascode amplifier calculated?

The gain of a cascode amplifier can be calculated by multiplying the voltage gain of the common-emitter amplifier by the current gain of the common-base amplifier. This results in a high overall gain for the circuit.

4. What are the advantages of using a cascode amplifier?

Some advantages of a cascode amplifier include high gain, high bandwidth, low distortion, and low output impedance. It is also less susceptible to parasitic capacitances, making it useful in high frequency applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using a cascode amplifier?

One limitation of a cascode amplifier is that it requires a higher supply voltage compared to other amplifier configurations. It also has a lower input impedance, which can affect the overall performance of the circuit. Additionally, the use of a cascode amplifier may increase the complexity and cost of the circuit.