So confused about reflection from metal surfaces

In summary, the conversation discusses the mechanism of energy loss when an electromagnetic wave hits a metal surface. The confusion arises from the contribution of both the electric and magnetic fields to resistive losses in a non-ideal conductor. The conversation suggests looking at the Wikipedia article on reflection for a good introduction and overview, as well as further references on types of reflection and diffuse reflection. It is also mentioned that fiber optic cables and waveguides can be good sources for understanding this subject, as they are carefully engineered for high frequency signals.
H_man
:bugeye:Hi All...

I am really confused about the mechanism of loss of energy when an EM wave hits a metal surface.

I always thought the reflection was due to the motion of the electrons in the metal (due to the electric field of the wave). Which suggests that resistive losses would come from the E field of the wave doing work.

However, I also know the magnetic field penetrates in the manner of the skin effect and also induces currents to cancel the changing B field.

So it seems to me that both field contribute to currents and hences losses in a non-ideal conductor.

The energy stored in each of the fields in the wave is equal so I would assume that the loss caused by each would similar?

Can anyone relieve my confusion :confused: Or even just tell me of a good textbook where this is treated. I've been looking but I can't find a clear answer.

I don't think looking at this from the view of individual photons is going to help :-(

Thanks in advance
Harry

Science news on Phys.org
Hi Harry..

have you read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflection_(physics)#Mechanisms_of_reflection
It's a good intro/overview.

See also further down that article on TYPES OF REFLECTION and SEE ALSO for further references...

And check this out for DIFFUSE REFLECTION...

Lot's going on with regard to reflections!

Also, I know this subject is VERY carefully engineered in fiber optic cable CLADDING...used at optical wavelengths...very high frequency...you might check on that and perhaps waveguides, such as those used in telecommunications to get broadband signals up to radio horn antennas...the one's you see on top of many towers around the US...

1. What causes reflection from metal surfaces?

Reflection from metal surfaces is caused by the smoothness and flatness of the surface. When light hits a metal surface, it bounces off at the same angle it came in at, resulting in a clear reflected image.

2. Why do some metals reflect light better than others?

The ability of metals to reflect light depends on their atomic and crystal structure. Metals with a smooth, flat surface and a high number of free electrons tend to reflect light better than others.

3. Can the color of a metal affect its reflective properties?

Yes, the color of a metal can affect its reflective properties. Metals with a shiny, reflective surface tend to reflect all colors of light, while metals with a darker or textured surface may absorb more light, resulting in less reflection.

4. How can reflection from metal surfaces be used in practical applications?

Reflection from metal surfaces has many practical applications, such as in mirrors, solar panels, and headlights. It can also be used in optical and laser technology, as well as in photography and art.

5. Is there a difference between reflection from polished and unpolished metal surfaces?

Yes, there is a difference between reflection from polished and unpolished metal surfaces. Polished surfaces are smoother and flatter, resulting in a clearer and more defined reflection. Unpolished surfaces may have a more diffused reflection due to their rougher surface texture.