Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Socket T (LGA775) or Socket 478

1. Jan 20, 2006 #1
    After almost purchasing a motherboard and processor for socket 478 I found a p4 processor for socket T that was cheaper than a p4 processor for socket 478. The thing is I have this proprietary dell motherboard which I now can't get to work with my in-win case. So simply put should I go with the lga 775 stuff since it is newer and is the future, or with the socket 478 stuff which has been around for sometime?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus

Why Intel? Why not AMD?

When I upgrade every 3-4 years I basically get a new everything. I have found that upgrading parts any sooner is a waste of time and money.

My advice is to get stabilized parts. The lastest and greatest almost always has problems (hardware or software) and goes through a bunch of revisions .
  4. Jan 21, 2006 #3
    Yea but the good amd processors are much more expensive when compared to a pentium 4 prescott.
  5. Jan 21, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus

Um, where do you shop? What speed are you looking for?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?