Software for Creating Physics Diagrams

In summary, a physics student is looking for software to create diagrams for their MSc thesis. Suggestions include using gnuplot for plots, LaTEX for technical writing and referencing, asymptote and pyx for other types of diagrams, and Graph for freeware. Other suggestions include teamxmgrace, PGPLOT, PowerPoint, Adobe Illustrator, and Photoshop. The student plans to use LaTEX for the write up and is seeking a separate graphics software. Some options may be available through university resources.
NoobixCube
Hi all,
I am writing up parts of my MSc thesis in physics early and it has become apparent that I need some software to produce some reasonable quality diagrams in the write up. The diagrams will mainly be 2D but need labels in most places with Greek characters, arrows etc.. Any ideas on software that would be good. I was thinking something a bit above MSpaint :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
Never tried it, but I heard/read about it. Have you tried gnuplot?

What kind of "diagrams"?

For plots, gnuplot [as suggested] is pretty good... and there are lots of examples out there to help.
For other kinds of diagrams,
http://asymptote.sourceforge.net/gallery/
and
http://pyx.sourceforge.net/gallery/
look good.

well my diagrams will mainly be about drawing elliptical orbits and the like with labels. Hope that helps. Thanks for the suggestions thus far

here is a nice gnuplot tutorial: http://t16web.lanl.gov/Kawano/gnuplot/index-e.html

Last edited by a moderator:
LaTEX, LaTEX, LaTEX! It can only produce simply diagrams on its own, but as someone who is defending in the next week or so, I recommend to everyone I know who is doing a thesis to use LaTEX for the writeup.

It was designed for writing technical papers. It outputs straight to pdf, which is nice for printing and sending to people without MS Office. The equation editor is the best around (it's the same thing they use here on these boards). It also puts figures and diagrams in the most efficient place in the thesis, no worrying about tying to fit things on certain pages.

Mostly though, the seller for me is references. You have a bibliography file, which contains stuff that looks like:

Code:
@article{paper2008,
 author = "whoever",
 title    = "whatever title",
 journal = "journal here",
 volume = "500",
 pages  = "100--108",
 year   = "2008"
}

Then to reference that paper, you simply do:

Code:
As seen in Whoever\cite{paper2008}...

Since a proper reference page for a thesis is alphabetical, it will automatically generate and rearrange the references each time you compile the thesis. You can also reference sections of the thesis and equations in the same way.

The version that I'm using is available at:
http://www.cs.mun.ca/~donald/metathesis/

There is a great couple hour tutorial at:
ftp://ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/info/lshort/english/lshort.pdf[/URL]

Sample diagram made in LaTEX:
[PLAIN]http://www.cs.mun.ca/~donald/metathesis/thesis-11.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Try "Graph", a freeware.

LaTeX outputs to dvi. pdflatex outputs to pdf, and pslatex, well, you can guess.

matt grime said:
LaTeX outputs to dvi. pdflatex outputs to pdf, and pslatex, well, you can guess.

Right, the package that I'm using has a make file that does it all automatically.

Code:
 make thesis.pdf

and voila!

I am definitely using Latex for the write up but I am wanting a graphics software for the diagrams. I think asymptote might be on the cards team

Why not try your universities audio visual department. I know in my university they are responsible for coming up with a lot of the graphics for departmental poster presentations. The advantage is you will achieve a really professional looking graphic for your thesis. The downside is that even as a student you will probably have to pay for the service. Anyway, just a thought that may be worth checking out. Failing that ask your supervisor for advice.

I'm not actually sure why something as simple as PowerPoint (or any of the other similar software) wouldn't suffice for such diagrams. If not, you might be able to find Adobe Illustrator on a computer in a university lab, which would give you a lot of options for drawing such diagrams and labeling them. Actually, you could also do it in Photoshop (with the advantage of saving it to a lot of different formats to insert whichever version is most compatible with the rest of your thesis). Neither of them would require learning a lot of new commands like LaTex might, and which you might not want to waste a lot of time learning if the rest of your thesis doesn't require it. Neither is worth buying just for making 2D diagrams though, so I'd recommend just finding a university computer lab where you can use them.

1. What is "Software for Creating Physics Diagrams"?

"Software for Creating Physics Diagrams" is a computer program designed specifically for creating diagrams and visual representations of physical phenomena. It is often used by scientists and educators to enhance their presentations and explanations of scientific concepts.

2. What are the benefits of using this software?

There are several benefits to using "Software for Creating Physics Diagrams". It allows for the creation of accurate and detailed diagrams, which can help to improve understanding and comprehension of complex concepts. It also saves time and effort compared to creating diagrams manually, and allows for easy editing and modification of diagrams.

3. What types of diagrams can be created using this software?

This software can be used to create a variety of diagrams, including free-body diagrams, energy diagrams, circuit diagrams, and graphs. It also has features for adding annotations, labels, and mathematical equations to the diagrams.

4. Is this software user-friendly for non-technical users?

Yes, most "Software for Creating Physics Diagrams" is designed to be user-friendly and intuitive, even for non-technical users. It often has a user-friendly interface and easy-to-use tools for creating and editing diagrams. Some software also includes tutorials and guides to help users get started.

5. Can this software be used for research purposes?

Yes, "Software for Creating Physics Diagrams" can be used for research purposes. It allows for the creation of professional-quality diagrams and can be used to support research findings and presentations. Some software even has advanced features for data analysis and simulation, making it a valuable tool for research in various fields of physics.