Solving Solar Energy Problem: Collector Area Needed

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a solar water heater, where energy from the Sun is gathered to warm water in tubes and then pumped into a holding tank. The question at hand is to determine the necessary collector area to raise the temperature of 250 L of water in the tank from 21°C to 46°C in 1.6 h. The given intensity of incident sunlight is 650 W/m2, and the efficiency of the system is 14%. Through the use of equations for energy, power, and intensity, the necessary area can be calculated. The conversation also mentions the specific heat and density of water, which are used in the calculations.
ghetto_bird25

Homework Statement

In a solar water heater, energy from the Sun is gathered by water that circulates through tubes in a rooftop collector. The solar radiation enters the collector through a transparent cover and warms the water in the tubes; this water is pumped into a holding tank. Assume that the efficiency of the overall system is 14.0% (that is, 86% of the incident solar energy is lost from the system). What collector area is necessary to raise the temperature of 250 L of water in the tank from 21°C to 46°C in 1.6 h when the intensity of incident sunlight is 650 W/m2? The specific heat of water is 4186 J/kg·K. The density of water is 1.00 g/cm3.

Homework Equations

equations that i used or tried to use were the energy equation where
E=Q-W
and Q=cmT
and W=pdv

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't know what the pressure of the object is...unless my method is wrong
i also tried the equation with 0.14E because its 14% of the energy

Physics news on Phys.org
What has this got to do with pressure of the object?

Energy falling per unit area per unit time is given. You can calculate the energy reqd to heat up the water, if you know ms(t2-t1). The time is given. So, you should be able to find the area.

well i redid the question where i used the equation
Q=mcT
where m is the density times the volume
then with Q i found Power which is Q/t
then with power i plugged it into the intensity equation of
I=P/A (p is power not pressure and A is area) and solved for A, but for somereason I am not getting the right answer...is it a problem with conversion or is the process I am using wrong...

Show me the steps. Maybe we can work it out.

ooo nvm i got it...i forgot about the 14% of energy being used...
the method i used was right its just at the end when u solve for intesity
I=P/A its actual 0.14I=P/A
thanks for the help

1. What is the solar energy problem?

The solar energy problem refers to the issue of meeting the world's energy demands while reducing our reliance on non-renewable resources such as fossil fuels. Solar energy is a clean and renewable energy source, but its use is limited by the amount of energy that can be collected and converted into usable electricity.

2. How is the collector area needed for solar energy determined?

The collector area needed for solar energy is determined by several factors, including the amount of energy required, the efficiency of the solar panels, and the location and climate of the installation site. Generally, the more energy needed, the larger the collector area will need to be.

3. What is the average collector area needed for a household?

The average collector area needed for a household varies depending on factors such as energy consumption habits, location, and efficiency of the solar panels. However, on average, a household would need between 300 and 600 square feet of collector area to meet their energy needs.

4. Can the collector area needed be reduced?

Yes, the collector area needed can be reduced by using more efficient solar panels, implementing energy-saving measures in the household, and optimizing the placement and orientation of the solar panels. Additionally, advancements in technology are continuously improving the efficiency of solar panels, allowing for smaller collector areas to produce the same amount of energy.

5. How does the cost of the collector area affect the overall cost of solar energy?

The cost of the collector area is a significant factor in the overall cost of solar energy. A larger collector area means more solar panels, which can increase the initial investment cost. However, a larger collector area can also result in higher energy production and savings in the long run. It is essential to find a balance between the collector area and cost to achieve the most cost-effective solution for solar energy.