What is the solar constant in certain area of earth per day?

In summary, the solar constant is the amount of solar energy reaching the Earth per unit time and area above the atmosphere, and it varies with the angle at which the energy reaches the Earth's surface. The total amount of solar energy reaching the Earth per day can be calculated by integrating the equation Q = Δt*C*S*cos Θ, with the Earth being represented by a larger target than a single point. The shape of the Earth can be approximated as a half circle with a diameter of one meter.
viniterranova

Homework Statement

The solar constant, the amount of solar energy reaching the Earth per unit time and area above the atmosphere and an
element of area perpendicular to the direction from sunlight is 1.36 kW / m². For an element of area whose normal
makes a angle q with the direction of the solar rays, the energy flow varies with cos theta.
a) Calculate the total amount of solar energy reaching the Earth per day.

Solar Constat I=1.36 kW/m^2

Homework Equations

Q=C*m*ΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

From the equation above I wrote,
Q=Δt*C*S*cos Θ

Intregrating, taking a small infinitesimal.

dQ=C*Δt*dS*cos Θ

Q=C*Δt∫cos Θ*dS.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is just geometry, you don't have to integrate anything (you can, but it just makes the problem more complicated). As seen from the sun, how does the Earth look like?

Likes 1 person
Someone said that I should integrate it. So, if not for me the Earth is like a ideal point.

viniterranova said:
Someone said that I should integrate it. So, if not for me the Earth is like a ideal point.

No, not a point. A point is too small to represent the view of the Earth. Look at a picture of the Earth what does it look like? By the way, the formula you provided in the "Relevant equations" section is completely irrelevant. One more thing, that should've been posted in the "Introductory Physics Homework" forum.

Likes 2 people
So, what is the way to solve the problem?

See post #2:
mfb said:
As seen from the sun, how does the Earth look like?
Certainly not like a single point!

Likes 1 person
viniterranova said:
So, what is the way to solve the problem?

One step at a time. Before solving the problem you have to first understand the problem. Let put if a different way. The amount of light collected by the Earth depends on how large a target the Earth is. That's why we asked what the Earth looks like from the point of view of the sun to which you responded "a point", but that makes no sense so you should try again instead of just ask "So, what is the way to solve the problem?" You're supposed to show some effort.

In this case, I think the earth´s half circunference x one meter.

Why one meter?
What's the relevance of "1 meter" for the shape of earth?

If you look at the moon, how does it look like? Can you describe the shape?

viniterranova said:
In this case, I think the earth´s half circunference x one meter.

That doesn't mean anything. It's not even wrong. It's just meaningless

What is the solar constant?

The solar constant is defined as the amount of solar radiation received per unit area at the outer atmosphere of the Earth. It is a measure of the sun's power and is expressed in watts per square meter (W/m²).

What factors affect the solar constant?

The solar constant can be affected by various factors such as the Earth's distance from the sun, atmospheric conditions, and solar activity. These factors can cause slight fluctuations in the amount of solar radiation received on Earth.

How is the solar constant measured?

The solar constant is measured by satellites orbiting the Earth, which use specialized instruments to measure the amount of solar radiation received at the top of the atmosphere. These measurements are then averaged over a period of time to determine the solar constant for a specific area.

What is the average solar constant on Earth?

The average solar constant on Earth is approximately 1361 W/m². However, this value can vary depending on the location on Earth and the time of year. For example, areas near the equator receive slightly higher solar radiation due to their proximity to the sun.

How does the solar constant impact Earth's climate?

The solar constant plays a crucial role in Earth's climate. Changes in the solar constant can affect the amount of heat and energy received by the Earth, which can impact weather patterns, ocean currents, and the overall temperature of the planet. It is an important factor in understanding and predicting climate change.