Map of Solar System: See How Far Away Planets Are!

In summary, the Map of Solar System uses accurate scale to show the vast distances between planets and their relative positions in orbit around the sun. The map also includes information on the composition and characteristics of each planet, allowing viewers to gain a better understanding of our solar system. By visually representing the immense size and complexity of our celestial neighborhood, the map serves as a valuable educational tool for all ages.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Whew! My fingers are tired from scrolling!

This gave me a deep respect for Galileo and Tombaugh. Eris would have been fine (less than 6,771 more maps). But in any case, well done.

Good thing they let us scroll faster than the speed of light. Anyone else find that button? (bottom right hand corner)
Good lord! Light is slow.
5 ½ hours to Pluto? Ain't nobody got that much spare time for scrolling.

The Moody Blues were right, thinking is the best way to travel.

(or the buttons along the top. Nice warp-driveish way to get around the universe. :smile: )

Likes Borg and Drakkith
OmCheeto said:
Good thing they let us scroll faster than the speed of light. Anyone else find that button? (bottom right hand corner)
That is interesting to watch but it will have to wait for another time. :smile:

How come it took so long? Shouldn't have time dilation made it go faster! :biggrin:

Likes hsdrop
This map would be better if vertical (my computer can not easily scroll sideways).
This map would be better if smaller (no point wasting time scrolling empty space).

eltodesukane said:
This map would be better if vertical (my computer can not easily scroll sideways).
This map would be better if smaller (no point wasting time scrolling empty space).
You can use the planet buttons on top to scroll to them.

eltodesukane said:

I believe that's the whole idea.

Likes OmCheeto
eltodesukane said:
But it does show there's too much space in space. Something is wrong with the universe.

Likes OmCheeto
eltodesukane said:
But it does show there's too much space in space. Something is wrong with the universe.

I kind of agree, as I've heard similar comments about atoms.

There's just too much missing "solid" stuff, both above and below our 3D planes of perception.

hmmm...

Take a look at Venus one of those times around sunset when it's near its max angular separation from the Sun, and try to imagine the actual distance between that tiny speck and its star. How in the world did the Solar system get so empty anyway?

What is a map of the solar system?

A map of the solar system is a visual representation of the layout and distances between planets, moons, and other objects in our solar system.

What is the purpose of a map of the solar system?

The purpose of a map of the solar system is to help us understand the vastness of space and the relationships between celestial bodies in our solar system.

How is a map of the solar system created?

A map of the solar system is created using data collected from satellites, telescopes, and other instruments. This data is then used to create visual representations of the solar system's layout and distances.

Why is it important to know the distances between planets?

Knowing the distances between planets helps us understand the scale of our solar system and the immense distances that must be traveled for space exploration. It also helps us understand the effects of gravity and how it affects the orbits of planets.

Can a map of the solar system change?

Yes, a map of the solar system can change as new data and discoveries are made. As our technology and understanding of the solar system advances, maps can be updated and improved to reflect the most accurate information.