Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solar system on my date of Birth

1. Oct 27, 2011 #1
    Hi everyone,

i'm looking for a website that can show me how the solar system was in place the minute i was born. November 6, 1982 6:32 a.m.

I found this website but i don't know how precise it is.

http://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/Solar

please let me know!

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2011 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Oct 27, 2011 #3
    it's a great link but only goes back to 1990. do you have any others?

5. Oct 27, 2011 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is free night sky simulation software called Stellarium available for download online. It can show you the night sky as seen from Earth, but I don't think it has other vantage points. What do you need this for?

6. Oct 27, 2011 #5
    i just want to see how they were aligned on my date of birth.
    the address that i lised seems pretty good but i have nothing to compare it too.

7. Oct 27, 2011 #6

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your motivations sound suspiciously (and dishearteningly) astrological. :grumpy:

I would advise you not to waste your time. I think a certain TV character said it best:

Astrology is utter nonsense. Think critically and scientifically about it. In order for scientific hypotheses to be meaningful, they must be testable. In fact they must be falsifiable (i.e. they must be able to be shown to be false by means of empirical testing). Most of the predictions made by astrologers in horoscopes are sufficiently vague, that they are not falsifiable statements. As a result, there is no means by which they can be tested experimentally. If a prediction cannot be shown to be false, it's not meaningful or useful as a prediction, and by definition it is not scientific.

Another thing to think critically about: what would be the causal mechanism by which your life/destiny would be affected by the positions of celestial bodies? Ans: there is no physical mechanism by which these bodies can influence your life, and hence no grounds for establishing a cause and effect relationship.

8. Oct 27, 2011 #7
    come on cephid, you may be right, but better to ask than assume.. the answer to sabrina's question could make for a nice sentimental curio or as a screen background ;) and i love Sheldon and Penny's little tait-a-taits..

9. Oct 27, 2011 #8

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah you make a fair point. I shouldn't have assumed what the OP's motives were. At the time, it just didn't seem to me like anyone would want to know about the positions (or, to used the dreaded word, "alignments") of the planets on the date of his/her birth unless if it was under the assumption that it was of some personal significance to his/her life.

In any case, to make up for it, (in case you don't trust the Fourmilab site, which is apparently founded by a programmer named John Walker) here is a European Space Agency link that I found that does allow you to enter 6 November 1982 and to see the solar system on that date. I wasn't sure what timezone the 6:32 am was meant to be in -- you'll have to take that into account and convert it into UTC:

http://orbits.esa.int/orbits/science/app/solar.htm [Broken]

For me, after going to this URL, a pop up window came up with the Java applet (and it took an unusually long time before this happened).

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  10. Oct 28, 2011 #9
    you guys look too much into things. I don't believe in astrology.....i just thought it would be interesting to see....and yes i wanted the image so i could print it....nothing more than that. thanks for your help!!

11. Nov 5, 2011 #10
    I like this one:
    http://dd.dynamicdiagrams.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/orrery_2006.swf" [Broken]

12. Nov 6, 2011 #11

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

That is awesome!

13. Nov 7, 2011 #12

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have to agree that's brilliant, thanks for the link :)

Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook