Solar System Rocket Trajectories Simulator

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for software that can simulate trips in the solar system from planets, including features such as spaceship flybys, gravity assists, and real-time configuration of planets. Several options are mentioned, including NASA's real-time solar system simulator, Orbiter Space Flight Simulator, GMAT, and STK. The speaker also mentions their own program, Gravity Simulator, which can simulate various aspects of interplanetary travel.
Albertgauss
Gold Member
Hi all,

I had an exhaustive time looking on the web for software (either free or commercial) that allows someone to simulate trips into the solar system from planets. I'm looking for something that can simulate spaceship flybys in Hohman Transfer Orbits, Gravity Assists, Oberth Effects, boosting your ship's rockets, etc. The software would also allow the real time configuration of the planets. For example, in the year 2030, could I see what paths a ship might take to get from Jupiter to Venus. If anyone knows of such a simlulator, I would really appreciate it. It doesn't need great pictures of the planets and moons, but the focus would be on trajecteries of space craft.

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt anything that general will exist - but NASA has a real-time solar system simulator that can be accessed online.

I think it's eyes on the solar system. I've only seen it demonstrated not used it.

Apart from that kind of thing you will pretty much want to set up specific simulations for what you want to do lie everybody else :)

Orbiter Space Flight Simulator can do this step by step, in a game-like environment. Gravity assists to reach something specific are tricky, but I think there is a plugin that helps planning them.

If you get current values for the objects in the solar system, you can use that gravity simulator (or something similar), too.

If you have a Windows computer, my program, Gravity Simulator might work for you:

It can simulate spaceship flybys in Hohman Transfer Orbits.
It can simulate Gravity Assists. In fact the website has simulations of every gravity assist by Jupiter on a spacecraft to date.
It can demonstrate Oberth Effects, boosting your ship's rockets, etc. Of course, you need to set up the simulations.
It allows the real time configuration of the planets. The website has plenty of solar system sims with real numbers. You could start with one of them and propagate into the future, or you could get fresh data from JPL Horizons for 2030 and begin there.
You could set up the solar system for the year in the year 2030, and create paths a ship might take to get from Jupiter to Venus. In fact, Venus to Jupiter has already been done for you in the "Visiting Jupiter" series of simulations.
And it doesn't have great images of the planets or moons. In fact, its all pixels and data. No eye-candy.

www.gravitysimulator.com

What is a Solar System Rocket Trajectories Simulator?

A Solar System Rocket Trajectories Simulator is a computer program that models and simulates the flight paths of rockets in our solar system. It takes into account factors such as gravity, atmospheric conditions, and the locations and movements of planets and other celestial bodies.

What is the purpose of a Solar System Rocket Trajectories Simulator?

The purpose of a Solar System Rocket Trajectories Simulator is to help scientists and engineers plan and predict the trajectories of rockets for space missions. It can also be used for educational purposes to teach students about the complexities of space travel.

How accurate are the simulations created by a Solar System Rocket Trajectories Simulator?

The accuracy of the simulations depends on the complexity of the model and the accuracy of the input data. The more precise the data and the more factors that are taken into account, the more accurate the simulation will be.

What types of rockets can be simulated with a Solar System Rocket Trajectories Simulator?

A Solar System Rocket Trajectories Simulator can simulate the flight paths of various types of rockets, including those used for space exploration, satellite launches, and interplanetary travel. It can also take into account different propulsion systems, such as chemical and ion engines.

Can a Solar System Rocket Trajectories Simulator be used for real-time simulations?

Yes, some advanced Solar System Rocket Trajectories Simulators have the capability to run real-time simulations. This can be useful for monitoring and adjusting the flight path of a rocket during a mission, or for conducting virtual experiments in real-time.