Solution to an exponential equation

In summary, the equation e^t=3t^2 presented by the speaker cannot be solved algebraically and would require the use of the Lambert W-function, defined as the inverse of the function f(x)=xe^x, to find a solution. The speaker also mentions that this equation is similar to the equation y=x^x, which also cannot be solved for a given y.
Kb1jij
Today I came across a very strange exponential equation to which neither my teacher nor I could find a solution. It is as follows:
[itex]e^t=3t^2[/itex]
This could be easily solved graphically, but could anyone show me how to do this algebraically?
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it can be done.

Kb1jij said:
Today I came across a very strange exponential equation to which neither my teacher nor I could find a solution. It is as follows:
[itex]e^t=3t^2[/itex]
This could be easily solved graphically, but could anyone show me how to do this algebraically?
Thanks in advance!

you would need a second equation describing t. then you could use substitution to solve for it.

I mean even if you used the natural logarithm you still get:

[itex]t = 2ln(3t)[/itex] and that does not help you much since you still have t in terms of itself and if you then did this:

[itex]0 = 2ln(3t) - t[/itex]
you can not factor out t.

that does seem to be an interesting solution set though (is there even a solution set?).

Last edited:
In general, an equation involving a a transcendental function (such as et) and an algebraic function (such as t2) can't be solved in terms of "elementary" functions. It could, I think, be solved in terms of the "Lambert W function", which is defined as the inverse function to f(x)= xex.

(I edited this- my f(x)= xe2 was a typo.)

Last edited by a moderator:
This reminds me of trying to solve [itex]y = x^x[/itex] for a given y.:smile:

Kb1jij said:
[itex]e^t=3t^2[/itex]
Thanks in advance!

The Lambert W-function is defined as the inverse of the following:

[tex]
f(x)=xe^x=y
[/tex]

then:

[tex]
f^{-1}(y)=x=W(y)
[/tex]

with W being the Lambert W-function for y>-e^{-1}

If:

[tex]
g(x)=x^2e^x=y
[/tex]

then:

[tex]
g^{-1}(y)=2W(\frac{\sqrt y}{2})
[/tex]

and in general if:

[tex]
h(x)=x^ne^x=y
[/tex]

then:
[tex]
h^{-1}(y)=nW(\frac{y^\frac{1}{n}}{n})
[/tex]

Kindly proceed to express the solution of your equation in terms of this generalized Lambda W function, that is:

[tex]t=\text{some function of W}[/tex]

Thanks for all for your input!

I thought I was just missing some easy step...
guess I was wrong!

1. What is an exponential equation?

An exponential equation is an equation in the form of y = ab^x, where a and b are constants and x is a variable. Exponential equations are commonly used to model situations where the rate of change is proportional to the current value.

2. How do you solve an exponential equation?

To solve an exponential equation, you can use logarithms. First, isolate the exponential term on one side of the equation. Then, take the logarithm of both sides using the base that matches the base of the exponential term. Finally, solve for the variable.

3. Can an exponential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, an exponential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because exponential functions are not one-to-one, meaning that different inputs can result in the same output. These solutions can be found by solving for the variable using logarithms.

4. How do you check if a solution to an exponential equation is correct?

You can check if a solution to an exponential equation is correct by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then it is a valid solution.

5. What are the real-life applications of exponential equations?

Exponential equations have many real-life applications, such as modeling population growth, compound interest, and radioactive decay. They can also be used in physics to model exponential decay and growth, as well as in chemistry to model reaction rates.