Solutions for Griffiths and recommendation for book on problems in QM

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties in finding solutions for problems at the end of each chapter in the book "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by D.Griffiths. The author mentions that there is a solution manual available for teachers, but it is difficult to find. The conversation also includes recommendations for other books on quantum mechanics with solved problems, such as the Quantum Mechanics series by Greiner and books by Flugge and Constantinescu & Magyari. The importance of being able to check one's own solutions is also emphasized.
Ene Dene
I'm reading a book, Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by D.Griffiths, and at the end of each chapter there are problems to be solved, nice problems, but I can't find the solutions, and I don't really see the point of solving the problem if you can't check the solution. In the preface of book author said that there is an solution manual for teachers, the problem is that I can't find it anywhere. Can someone help?
I'm also searching for a good book on quantum mechanics with lot of solved problems (Schaum kinda of book), if you could recommend a good book, I would be grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ene Dene said:
I'm reading a book, Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by D.Griffiths, and at the end of each chapter there are problems to be solved, nice problems, but I can't find the solutions, and I don't really see the point of solving the problem if you can't check the solution.
Often, many problems can be checked because the answer you get and the reasoning used to get there make physical and mathematical sense.
Ene Dene said:
In the preface of book author said that there is an solution manual for teachers, the problem is that I can't find it anywhere. Can someone help?
The solution manual is available from the publisher... and the representative will verify that the request is coming from an instructor [who has adopted the text]. As an alternative, you could search the web for posted solutions. [Sometimes the solutions one finds [from the publisher or from the instructors] are wrong... so, you should should be checking them and enhancing them. I frowned when students turned in a solution that was obviously copied [since it repeated an error in the solution manual]. ]
Ene Dene said:
I'm also searching for a good book on quantum mechanics with lot of solved problems (Schaum kinda of book), if you could recommend a good book, I would be grateful.
Look at the Quantum Mechanics series by Greiner. There are also books by Flugge. There is also a series of solutions for qualifying exams. Here is the quantum one: http://www.worldscibooks.com/physics/3471.html

Schaums has a quantum mechanics text...

Also, I would just like to point out that as you go higher and higher up in the system, it becomes more and more important for you to be able to check yourself using physical reasoning like robphy indicated. You have to learn when and how to be confident in your answer, and you have to learn how to make reasonable checks on yourself. I don't know what your goals are, but this is especially true of people who want to go on to do research because then no one knows "the answer".

Since that may all be useless to you, I can also suggest a book. Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications by Zetilli has a nice section of nontrivial problems worked in detail at the end of each chapter and then more problems later for you to work on your own.

I liked Fluegge's two volumes of worked problems in QM and also Constantinescu & Magyari' book printed by Pergamon Press in 1971.

Daniel.

I agree, Flugge's books are great, problem is that for the most part they are not at the level of what Griffiths teaches, but more on a graduate level.

Related to Solutions for Griffiths and recommendation for book on problems in QM

1. What are some recommended books for practicing problems in quantum mechanics?

Some recommended books for practicing problems in quantum mechanics include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Problems and Solutions on Quantum Mechanics" by Yung-Kuo Lim, and "Quantum Mechanics: Problems and Solutions" by Gennaro Auletta and Mauro Fortunato.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in quantum mechanics?

To improve problem-solving skills in quantum mechanics, it is recommended to practice solving a variety of problems from different textbooks and to seek help from a mentor or study group. It is also helpful to review the fundamental concepts and principles of quantum mechanics before attempting to solve more complex problems.

3. Are there any online resources available for practicing quantum mechanics problems?

Yes, there are several online resources available for practicing quantum mechanics problems. Some examples include "The Quantum Game" by MIT, "Quantum Mechanics" by The University of Colorado Boulder, and "Quantum Mechanics Problems and Solutions" by The University of Toronto.

4. Can I use Griffiths' "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" as a standalone resource for practicing problems?

While Griffiths' "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" does contain some practice problems, it is recommended to use it as a supplement to other problem-solving resources. This will provide a more comprehensive understanding of the subject and allow for a wider range of practice problems.

5. Are there any tips for effectively using Griffiths' "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" for practicing problems?

Some tips for effectively using Griffiths' "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" for practicing problems include reading the corresponding chapter in the textbook before attempting the problems, taking notes and highlighting important concepts, and checking the solutions to ensure understanding and identify areas for improvement.