Solving Equation |x|+|y|+|z|=10 for I: A Comprehensive Guide

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the number of solutions for the equation |x|+|y|+|z|=10, where x, y, and z are integers between -10 and 10. The solution involves considering the 8 planes formed by the equation and using symmetry to count the solutions. The correct answer is 402, which is found by using the formula 9C1*3C1*2^2+9C2*2^3+1*3C2*2.
Saitama

Homework Statement

If in an equation |x|+|y|+|z|=10, x,y,z ##\in## I, then the number of solutions are
A)528
B)402
C)666
D)None

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am clueless on this one. It looks to me that it represents 8 planes but I don't think that's going to help me here.

Physics news on Phys.org
All values of [itex]x,y,z[/itex] are within [itex][-10,10][/itex], in order for that equation to be satisfied. How many different ways can you add 3 integers ([itex]x,y,z[/itex] s.t. [itex]0 \leq x,y,z \leq 10[/itex]) to be equal to 10. Don't worry about negatives for now.

Coto said:
All values of [itex]x,y,z \leq 10[/itex], in order for that equation to be satisfied. How many different ways can you add 3 integers ([itex]x,y,z[/itex] s.t. [itex]0 \leq x,y,z \leq 10[/itex]) to be equal to 10. Don't worry about negatives for now.

For 0<= x,y,z <=10, the number of solutions are 12C2. I tried this before but then got stuck when it came to my mind that I need to consider the negatives too.

How many solutions do you have when you have [itex]0 \leq y,z \leq 10[/itex], and [itex]-10 \leq x \leq 0[/itex]? I would iterate your process fixing one, then 2, then 3 variables to be negative. You could then setup an equation that adds each of those solution sets together and subtract duplicate solutions.

Yes, it's 8 planes, specifically the surface of a regular octahedron. So you can use symmetry. This is the same as Coto suggests, but using a more geometric (visual) approach. E.g. count one plane, multiply by 8, then set about subtracting the double counts: each edge was counted twice, each vertex ... how many times?

haruspex said:
Yes, it's 8 planes, specifically the surface of a regular octahedron. So you can use symmetry. This is the same as Coto suggests, but using a more geometric (visual) approach. E.g. count one plane, multiply by 8, then set about subtracting the double counts: each edge was counted twice, each vertex ... how many times?

During the examination, I used the same approach but I did not end up with the right answer.

Considering the plane x+y+z=10, the integer solutions where x,y,z>0 are 9C2. Multiplying by 8 and adding up the edges, I get 9C2*8+10*6+1 (+1 for the origin)=349 which is incorrect. I don't see how this is wrong.

EDIT:
Considering the plane x+y+z=10, the integer solutions where x,y,z>0 are 9C2. We have 12 edges. The number of points on those edges are (not including the vertices) 9*12 and adding up the vertices i.e. 6
I get 9C2*8+12*9+6=402. Woops, looks like my approach was correct, did some silly mistakes in the exam. -_-

I looked at the given solution, it is given that required solutions=9C1*3C1*2^2+9C2*2^3+1*3C2*2=402. Can you explain me why did they write 3C1 and 2^2?

Thank you haruspex and Coto! :smile:

Last edited:
Pranav-Arora said:
Can you explain me why did they write 3C1 and 2^2?
This is for number of solutions along edges of the octahedron, excluding the vertices. The are 9 such along each edge, so you're asking why they write 3C1*2^2 for the number of edges. An edge corresponds to one of the variables being 0: 3C1. The remaining two variables are nonzero and can have either sign independently: 2^2.

haruspex said:
This is for number of solutions along edges of the octahedron, excluding the vertices. The are 9 such along each edge, so you're asking why they write 3C1*2^2 for the number of edges. An edge corresponds to one of the variables being 0: 3C1. The remaining two variables are nonzero and can have either sign independently: 2^2.

Got it, thank you haruspex! :smile:

Related to Solving Equation |x|+|y|+|z|=10 for I: A Comprehensive Guide

What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more quantities, usually represented by using symbols, numbers, and operations.

What is a solution to an equation?

A solution to an equation is a value or set of values that make the equation true when substituted into the equation. In other words, it is the value that satisfies the equation.

How do you find the solution to an equation?

To find the solution to an equation, you can use various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. The method used depends on the type of equation and the given information.

Can an equation have more than one solution?

Yes, an equation can have more than one solution. This is known as a system of equations, and it occurs when there are multiple variables and equations involved.

Why are solutions to equations important?

Solutions to equations are crucial because they help us find the values of unknown quantities and solve real-world problems. They are also essential in many fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.