1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solutions to an equation

1. May 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If in an equation |x|+|y|+|z|=10, x,y,z ##\in## I, then the number of solutions are
    A)528
    B)402
    C)666
    D)None

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am clueless on this one. It looks to me that it represents 8 planes but I don't think that's going to help me here.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2013 #2
    All values of [itex]x,y,z[/itex] are within [itex][-10,10][/itex], in order for that equation to be satisfied. How many different ways can you add 3 integers ([itex]x,y,z[/itex] s.t. [itex]0 \leq x,y,z \leq 10[/itex]) to be equal to 10. Don't worry about negatives for now.

4. May 5, 2013 #3
    For 0<= x,y,z <=10, the number of solutions are 12C2. I tried this before but then got stuck when it came to my mind that I need to consider the negatives too.

5. May 5, 2013 #4
    How many solutions do you have when you have [itex]0 \leq y,z \leq 10[/itex], and [itex]-10 \leq x \leq 0[/itex]? I would iterate your process fixing one, then 2, then 3 variables to be negative. You could then setup an equation that adds each of those solution sets together and subtract duplicate solutions.

6. May 5, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, it's 8 planes, specifically the surface of a regular octahedron. So you can use symmetry. This is the same as Coto suggests, but using a more geometric (visual) approach. E.g. count one plane, multiply by 8, then set about subtracting the double counts: each edge was counted twice, each vertex ... how many times?

7. May 6, 2013 #6
    During the examination, I used the same approach but I did not end up with the right answer.

Considering the plane x+y+z=10, the integer solutions where x,y,z>0 are 9C2. Multiplying by 8 and adding up the edges, I get 9C2*8+10*6+1 (+1 for the origin)=349 which is incorrect. I don't see how this is wrong.

EDIT:
    Considering the plane x+y+z=10, the integer solutions where x,y,z>0 are 9C2. We have 12 edges. The number of points on those edges are (not including the vertices) 9*12 and adding up the vertices i.e. 6
    I get 9C2*8+12*9+6=402. Woops, looks like my approach was correct, did some silly mistakes in the exam. -_-

I looked at the given solution, it is given that required solutions=9C1*3C1*2^2+9C2*2^3+1*3C2*2=402. Can you explain me why did they write 3C1 and 2^2?

Thank you haruspex and Coto! :smile:

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  8. May 7, 2013 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

This is for number of solutions along edges of the octahedron, excluding the vertices. The are 9 such along each edge, so you're asking why they write 3C1*2^2 for the number of edges. An edge corresponds to one of the variables being 0: 3C1. The remaining two variables are nonzero and can have either sign independently: 2^2.

9. May 7, 2013 #8
    Got it, thank you haruspex! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted