Solve 2-Body Equation for t w/ Given Parameters

• Thread starter Philosophaie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulas
In summary, the conversation involves the equations for a 2 Body Equation in Cartesian Coordinates, where x, y, z, and t are being solved for using Newtonian Physics. The equations include the geodesic and the equations for x, y, and z. However, it is not possible to determine if the equations are correct without knowing the system being modeled.
Philosophaie
For a 2 Body Equation:

[tex]x = - \frac{1}{2} \frac{GM}{r^2}cos(\theta) cos(\phi) t^2 +v_x t + x_0[/tex]
[tex]y= - \frac{1}{2} \frac{GM}{r^2} sin(\theta) cos(\phi) t^2 +v_y t + y_0[/tex]
[tex]z= - \frac{1}{2} \frac{GM}{r^2} sin(\phi) t^2 +v_z t + z_0[/tex]

[tex]r= sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)[/tex]
[tex]\theta = atan(\frac{y}{x})[/tex]
[tex]\phi = acos(\frac{z}{r})[/tex]

Given:[tex]v_x, v_y, v_z, x_0, y_0, z_0 and M.[/tex]

Now all I have to solve for t.

Physics news on Phys.org
I see a bunch of formulas. What do they represent?

I am working in Cartesian Coordinates. I want to solve for x, y, z and t. I want to do this in Newtonian Physics.

For the fourth equation in the four equations and four unknowns I choose the geodesic:

[tex](\frac{dx}{dt})^2 + (\frac{dy}{dt})^2 + (\frac{dz}{dt})^2 = 0[/tex]

Are the geodesic, the x equation, the y equation, and the z equation (above) correct?

Last edited:
I am working in Cartesian Coordinates. I want to solve for x, y, z and t. I want to do this in Newtonian Physics.
You want to solve for x,y,z, and t, for what?

Are the geodesic, the x equation, the y equation, and the z equation (above) correct?
It is not possible to tell since you won't tell us what these equations are supposed to represent. What system are you attempting to model?

I suspect that the equations are not correct.

I would first like to clarify that the given parameters and equations represent the motion of two bodies in a gravitational field, where M represents the mass of the central body, and x, y, and z represent the positions of the two bodies in three-dimensional space.

To solve for t, we can use the equations for x, y, and z to eliminate the trigonometric functions and solve for t. This can be done by setting the equations equal to each other and then rearranging them in terms of t. The resulting equation will be a quadratic equation, which can then be solved using the quadratic formula.

It is important to note that the solution for t will have two values, representing the two possible times at which the two bodies will have the same position in space. This is known as the time of closest approach or the time of collision.

Additionally, it is worth mentioning that the given equations assume the two bodies are point masses and do not take into account any external forces or perturbations. Therefore, the solution for t may not accurately represent the actual motion of the two bodies in a real-world scenario.

In conclusion, the given parameters and equations can be used to solve for t, which represents the time at which the two bodies will have the same position in space. However, it is important to consider the limitations and assumptions of these equations in order to accurately interpret the results.

1. What is a 2-body equation?

A 2-body equation is a mathematical model that describes the motion of two objects in space under the influence of their mutual gravitational attraction. It is commonly used in physics and astronomy to study the behavior of celestial bodies such as planets, stars, and galaxies.

2. How is the 2-body equation used to solve for time?

The 2-body equation can be used to solve for time by setting up and solving a system of equations that represent the positions and velocities of the two bodies at a given time. By plugging in the known parameters such as masses, distances, and initial velocities, the time at which the two bodies will be at a certain position can be calculated.

3. What are the given parameters in the 2-body equation?

The given parameters in the 2-body equation include the masses of the two bodies, their initial positions and velocities, and the distance between them. Other factors such as the gravitational constant and the direction of motion may also be included depending on the specific form of the equation being used.

4. How is the 2-body equation derived?

The 2-body equation is derived from Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. By applying this law to the two bodies in motion, a differential equation can be obtained and solved to obtain the equation of motion.

5. What are some practical applications of solving the 2-body equation for time?

The 2-body equation for time has many practical applications in the fields of astronomy, physics, and engineering. It can be used to predict the positions of planets and satellites in orbit, to study the dynamics of binary star systems, and to design spacecraft trajectories for interplanetary missions. It is also used in the development of computer simulations and models for various systems involving multiple bodies.