Solve 3-Force Member: Weight W=50N on Disk

• Thread starter dontdisturbmycircles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Member
In summary, the problem involves a disk being held up by a cable and a pin support. The forces must converge at a point above the center of mass of the disk and the sum of the forces in the x and y directions must equal zero. Additionally, the sum of the moments acting on the disk must also equal zero. The pivot on the left is at the same elevation as the center of mass, with a moment arm of R, and the cable is attached at the top vertically above the center of the disk, with a moment arm of R in the -x direction. The problem can be solved by using these concepts and equations.
dontdisturbmycircles

Homework Statement

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/5118/probrb4.jpg
The weight W=50N acts at the center of the disk. Use the fact that the disk is a three force member to solve for the tension in the cable and the reactions at the pin support.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I realize that the forces must converge at a point directly above the center of mass of the disk, but I don't immediately see the geometrical solution. I could solve it trivially by summing the forces in the x and y and taking a moment but that's not really using the fact that the disk is a three force member. I know the direction of T (tension in rope) obviously, and this kind of gives me an indication as to the direction of the reaction at the pin support but I again, I don't think there is enough there geometrically...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the sum of the forces in the x and y directions must equal zero, since this is a statics problem, AND the sum of the moments acting on the disc must also equal zero.

It would appear that the pivot on the left is at the same elevation as the CM of the disc? And it's moment arm is R.

The cable seems to be attached at the top vertically above the center of the disc, and there is a moment there (in the -x direction) and its moment arm is also R.

I would approach this problem by first defining the system and identifying all of the relevant forces acting on it. In this case, the system is the disk and the forces include the weight W, the tension in the cable T, and the reactions at the pin support Rx and Ry.

Next, I would use the fact that the disk is a three force member to determine the direction of the forces. Since the disk is in equilibrium, the sum of all the forces acting on it must be equal to zero. This means that the forces must be balanced and the direction of each force can be determined based on this principle.

Using the given information, I would draw a free body diagram of the disk and apply the equations of equilibrium to solve for the unknown forces. Since the disk is a three force member, the forces must converge at a point directly above the center of mass, as mentioned in the problem statement. This means that the tension in the cable T and the reactions at the pin support Rx and Ry must all intersect at this point.

To solve for the tension in the cable T, I would use the equation ΣFy=0, which states that the sum of the forces in the y-direction must be equal to zero. This would give me the equation T + Ry - W = 0, where T is the unknown tension in the cable, Ry is the reaction at the pin support in the y-direction, and W is the weight of the disk. Solving for T, I would get T = W - Ry.

Similarly, to solve for the reactions at the pin support Rx and Ry, I would use the equations ΣFx=0 and ΣM=0. These equations state that the sum of the forces in the x-direction and the sum of the moments about any point must be equal to zero, respectively. This would give me two equations, Rx = 0 and Ry = W/2, which can be solved simultaneously.

In conclusion, by using the fact that the disk is a three force member and applying the equations of equilibrium, I can solve for the unknown forces in the system, namely the tension in the cable and the reactions at the pin support. This approach allows me to use the given information and principles of mechanics to find a geometric solution to the problem.

Related to Solve 3-Force Member: Weight W=50N on Disk

What is a 3-force member?

A 3-force member is a structural element that is subjected to three forces acting on it at a single point. This means that the forces are concurrent at a specific point on the member.

How do you solve for a 3-force member with a weight of 50N on a disk?

To solve for a 3-force member with a weight of 50N on a disk, you will need to use the principles of equilibrium. This means that the sum of all forces acting on the member must equal zero and the sum of all moments must also equal zero.

What is the equation for solving a 3-force member with a weight of 50N on a disk?

The equation for solving a 3-force member with a weight of 50N on a disk is: ΣF = 0 and ΣM = 0. This means that the sum of all forces acting on the member must equal zero and the sum of all moments must also equal zero.

What are the different types of forces that can act on a 3-force member?

The different types of forces that can act on a 3-force member are internal forces, external forces, and support reactions. Internal forces are forces that act within the member, external forces are forces that act on the member from outside, and support reactions are forces that act on a member at its point of support.

How can solving for a 3-force member with a weight of 50N on a disk be applied in real-life situations?

Solving for a 3-force member with a weight of 50N on a disk can be applied in real-life situations such as in the design of structures like bridges, buildings, and machines. It can also be used in the analysis of forces acting on objects or structures in different situations, such as in physics or engineering problems.