Solve an Exponent Question with Help from Experts

• Thread starter benr2424
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponent
In summary, the conversation discusses the notation and rules regarding indices and how to find the value of x^(y-t) given x^y=2 and x^t=16. The conclusion is that x^(y-t) equals 1/8.
benr2424
Hello everyone!

The following question stumped me and I thought you may be able to help.

If x^y = 2 and x^t = 16 what does x^(y-t) equal?

I don't know where to start so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ben

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should be clearer with the notation. By x^y-t, do you mean (x^y)-t or x^(y-t)? The notation looks like (x^y)-t, but I'm probably not wrong when guessing that you meant x^(y-t)?

Assuming you meant that you wanted to find [itex]x^{y-t}[/itex], if [itex]a^n \times a^m = a^{n+m}[/itex], can you split [itex]x^{y-t}[/itex] into the product of two exponents?

Sorry, the notation in the problem was given as such:

...what does x^(y-t) equal?

benr2424 said:
Sorry, the notation in the problem was given as such:

...what does x^(y-t) equal?

Do you know the rules regarding indices?

When you say x[tex]^{y-t}[/tex] it's the same as [tex]\frac{x^{y}}{x^{t}}[/tex]
First we need to find x, y and t.
So if x[tex]^{y}[/tex] = 2, and x[tex]^{t}[/tex] = 16, then x needs to be even. It also needs to be able to divide those numbers into whole integers. Now the only number that fits into those catagories is 2.
2, however, could be positive or negative. But the fact that x[tex]^{1}[/tex] is 2, means that it cannot be a negative number.

So we know x=2, y=1 and t=4 (2*2*2*2 = 16). If that is the case, then x[tex]^{y-t}[/tex] = 2[tex]^{1-4}[/tex] = 2[tex]^{-3}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{2*2*2}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{8}[/tex] = 0.125

OR: [tex]\frac{x^{y}}{x^{t}}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{2^{1}}{2^{4}}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{2}{16}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{8}[/tex] = 0.125

Hope that answers your question.

?!

We do not know to know either x, t or y. x^y-t = x^y / x^t = 2 / 16 = 1/8. Voila.

Good point... Ahh well, either gives you the right answer. However, you could use it as reference for checking.

Thanks everyone! 1/8 is the correct answer!

Related to Solve an Exponent Question with Help from Experts

What is an exponent?

An exponent is a number that represents how many times a base number should be multiplied by itself. It is written as a small number above and to the right of the base number. For example, in the expression 23, 3 is the exponent and 2 is the base.

How do I solve an exponent question?

To solve an exponent question, you can use the exponent rule which states that when you have a number with an exponent raised to another exponent, you can multiply the exponents. You can also use a calculator to find the value of the expression.

Can I use a calculator to solve an exponent question?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve an exponent question. Most scientific and graphing calculators have a "power" or "^" button that allows you to input the base and exponent and find the value of the expression.

What are common mistakes to avoid when solving an exponent question?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving an exponent question include forgetting to follow the order of operations and not properly applying the exponent rule. It is important to carefully follow the steps and check your work to avoid these mistakes.

Can I get help from an expert to solve an exponent question?

Yes, you can definitely seek help from an expert to solve an exponent question. You can consult a math teacher or tutor, or use online resources such as tutorials or forums to get assistance from experts. It is always helpful to have someone explain the concepts and guide you through the steps of solving the problem.