Solve differential equation still confused

In summary, when solving the equation 2x-1 = 0.5e^t^2 + K, the solution is x=0.5-0.5e^t^2. However, when solving for x when t=0, x does not satisfy the equation.
doroulla
hi. I have asked for help on this again but i got even more confused. The question says solve:
dx/dt - 2t(2x-1) = 0 when t=0 when x=0.

I did:
0.5 ln(2x-1) = 2t^2 / 2 + K

then i have 2x-1 = 0.5(e^t^2) + K

putting x=0 and t=0 i get:
K=0

thus i have 2x-1 = e^(2t^2)

thus: x=0.5e^(2t^2) + 1

but i know it is wrong because when i put t=0 i do not get x=0

someone please help me. I've been stuck on this coursework for a week! Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

then i have 2x-1 = 0.5(e^t^2) + K

There is your problem. You can't manipulate the right side and forget the constant. In this case, it will become a constant in front of the exponential.

doroulla said:
hi. I have asked for help on this again but i got even more confused. The question says solve:
dx/dt - 2t(2x-1) = 0 when t=0 when x=0.

I did:

This should be (1/2)ln|2x-1| =t2 + k, with absolute value signs.

ln|2x-1| = 2t2+2K

[tex]|2x-1| = e^{2t^2+2K}=e^{2t^2}e^{2K}[/tex]

Best not to evaluate the constant yet. Notice that with the absolute value signs, both sides are positive. We can drop the absolute value signs and write:

[tex]2x-1 = \pm e^{2K}e^{2t^2} = Ce^{2t^2}[/tex]

where C is the new constant which can be positive or negative. Now put in your x=0 when t = 0 to evaluate the constant and see if it works.

thank you very much. I got it correct now. I found C=-1
so i get: 2x-1 = -e^(2t^2)

thus i get : x= 0.5 - 0.5e^(2t^2)

when i put t=0 in this equation, i get x=0 thus this is correct right? Thank you

doroulla said:
thank you very much. I got it correct now. I found C=-1
so i get: 2x-1 = -e^(2t^2)

thus i get : x= 0.5 - 0.5e^(2t^2)

when i put t=0 in this equation, i get x=0 thus this is correct right? Thank you

You don't have to ask me. You know it satisfies the initial conditions. You can always check if you have it correct by substituting it back in the original DE to see if it works. That's a good check against arithmetic errors.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a physical quantity changes over time or in relation to other variables. It involves a function and one or more of its derivatives.

2. Why is solving differential equations important?

Solving differential equations is important because it allows us to model and understand various phenomena in the natural and physical world. It is used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology to make predictions and solve problems.

3. What are the different methods for solving differential equations?

The methods for solving differential equations depend on the type and complexity of the equation. Some common methods include separation of variables, substitution, and using specific techniques for certain types of equations such as linear, separable, or exact equations.

4. How do I know which method to use when solving a differential equation?

Choosing the appropriate method to solve a differential equation depends on various factors such as the type of equation, initial conditions, and the desired outcome. It is important to have a good understanding of the different methods and their applications in order to make an informed decision.

5. What are some tips for solving differential equations effectively?

Some tips for solving differential equations effectively include: understanding the problem and the type of equation, using appropriate methods and techniques, breaking the problem into smaller, manageable parts, and practicing regularly to improve problem-solving skills.