Solve for Length of Friction-Ridden Ice Patch | Work-Energy Theorem Hint

• Thread starter kingsean
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work-energy
In summary, the conversation is about a person who is having trouble solving a physics problem involving a skater on an ice rink with friction. They are seeking hints and have found that the back of the book gives an answer of 1.5m. They discuss using the work-energy theorem and the initial and final kinetic energies, but the person is still struggling to find the correct answer. Another person suggests using "m" for mass to cancel it out in the end. The conversation ends with the first person stating that they have tried this method but their answers are still incorrect.
kingsean
I've been working on a problem and I'm stumped :| I'm usually pretty good at deriving the equations for problems and solving them once I find out what I need to be solved. But this one is a bit too ambiguous for me, and I'm looking for a few hints :) Anything is appreciated!

On an essentially friction-less, horizontal ice rink, a skater moving at 3.0m/s encounters a rough patch that reduces her speed by 45% due to a friction force that is 25% of her weight. Use the work-energy theorem to find the length of this rough patch.

I've tried a few methods but, alas, no answer. The back of the book says 1.5m if that is of any assistance.

Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just solve the problem using "m" for the mass and it should cancel out in the end.

You know the initial energy will just be the kinetic energy ([tex]K[/tex]) and that will equal the final kinetic energy plus work done by friction ( [tex]K[/tex]+[tex]W_f[/tex] )

dav2008 said:
Just solve the problem using "m" for the mass and it should cancel out in the end.

You know the initial energy will just be the kinetic energy ([tex]K[/tex]) and that will equal the final kinetic energy plus work done by friction ( [tex]K[/tex]+[tex]W_f[/tex] )

I've taken this into consideration, but my answers still end up being too high or too low :(

I worked it out and got 1.46 meters as the answer.

I said that the final velocity was 3*.45 (although the wording would suggest that it should be 3-(3+.45) but that gives me 1.28)

Can you show how you're doing it and what answer you get?

Related to Solve for Length of Friction-Ridden Ice Patch | Work-Energy Theorem Hint

1. What is work-energy?

Work-energy is a concept in physics that describes the relationship between the work done on an object and its change in kinetic energy.

2. How is work-energy related to the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. Work-energy is related to this law because the work done on an object results in a change in energy, but the total amount of energy remains constant.

3. What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for calculating work is work = force x distance, or W = F x d. This means that the amount of work done on an object is equal to the force applied to the object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

4. How does the work-energy theorem apply to real-life situations?

The work-energy theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In real-life situations, this means that the amount of work you do on an object will result in a change in its speed or direction of motion. For example, pushing a car will result in the car moving with a certain amount of kinetic energy.

5. Can work be negative?

Yes, work can be negative. This occurs when the force and the displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for work. Negative work means that energy is being taken away from the object rather than added to it.