Solve for mass using a graph of a collision

In summary, the problem involves finding the mass of cart A by using the equation m_{s} \Delta v_{s} = -m_{A} \Delta v_{A} and the values of ΔvA and Δvs obtained from the given graph. The calculated mass of cart A is 2.13 kg, but it is incorrect. Additional help is needed to solve the problem.
B3NR4Y
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A 1-kg standard cart collides with a cart A of unknown inertia. Both carts appear to be rolling with significant wheel friction because their velocities change with time as shown in. What is the mass of cart A?

The graph below should be used to solve for the mass.
sPtKc3c.png

Homework Equations

[itex]m_{s} \Delta v_{s} = -m_{A} \Delta v_{A}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated ΔvA using the graph, to be ~-2 m/s, because the velocity before the collision is ~4 m/s and afterwards it is ~2 m/s, so 2(m/s) - 4(m/s) = -2 m/s, simple. I calculated Δvs to be ~4.25 m/s because the velocity changes from 0 m/s to 4.25 m/s. So the equation becomes 1 (kg) * 4.25 (m/s) = - mA (kg) * (-2 m/s). Which when I multiplied out, and solved for mA. I got 2.13 kg. Which, apparently, is wrong. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

1. How do I solve for mass using a graph of a collision?

The mass can be determined by using the formula m = F/a, where m is the mass, F is the force, and a is the acceleration. The force and acceleration can be obtained from the graph of the collision.

2. What information do I need from the graph to solve for mass?

You will need to identify the force and acceleration values from the graph. This can usually be done by finding the slope of the line on the graph.

3. Can I solve for mass using any type of collision graph?

Yes, as long as the graph shows the relationship between force and acceleration, you can use it to solve for mass.

4. Is there a specific unit for mass when using this method?

Yes, the unit for mass is typically in kilograms (kg). If the graph uses different units, you may need to convert them before solving for mass.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving for mass using a collision graph?

One common mistake is using the wrong formula. Make sure to use the formula m = F/a, not m = a/F. Also, be careful when converting units, as this can lead to incorrect results.