Solve for phase on the real part of a simple complex equation

In summary, to solve for theta in the equation Re {(1+j) ejθ} = -1, we can use Euler's formula to convert the complex number (1+j) into a phasor. By equating the real parts of the resulting expression to -1, we can find two solutions for theta: θ = 135 degrees and θ = 225 degrees. These solutions can be verified by plugging them back into the original equation.
atrus_ovis

Homework Statement

Solve for theta:
Re { (1+j) e} = -1

Homework Equations

euler's formula?
e = cosθ + jsinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

(1+j) e =e+ Je = cosθ+jsinθ +j(cosθ+jsinθ)
=cosθ+jsinθ+jcosθ+j2sinθ = cosθ-sinθ+j(cosθ+sinθ)

The real part equals -1 => cosθ-sinθ = -1

I don't think I'm supposed to find an angle that this is true... - Have i taken a wrong turn somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
atrus_ovis said:

Homework Statement

Solve for theta:
Re { (1+j) e} = -1

Homework Equations

euler's formula?
e = cosθ + jsinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

(1+j) e =e+ Je = cosθ+jsinθ +j(cosθ+jsinθ)
=cosθ+jsinθ+jcosθ+j2sinθ = cosθ-sinθ+j(cosθ+sinθ)

The real part equals -1 => cosθ-sinθ = -1

I don't think I'm supposed to find an angle that this is true... - Have i taken a wrong turn somewhere?

Yes, you're supposed to solve that trig equation. Hint: there are two solutions in [0, 2pi)

To solve that equation, start by observing that the LHS can be expressed as [itex]\sqrt{2}\cos(\theta + \frac{\pi}{4})[/itex]

Probably the most direct way to do it is to start with:

[tex](1+j) = \sqrt{2}e^{j(\frac{\pi}{4})}[/tex]

so

[tex](1+j)e^{j\theta} = \sqrt{2}e^{j(\frac{\pi}{4} + \theta)} = \sqrt{2}(\cos(\frac{\pi}{4} + \theta) + j\sin(\frac{\pi}{4} + \theta))[/tex]

And you can equate the real part of that expression to -1 to get to where you landed up using the longer way.

Last edited:
Thanks, both of you.

@Curious
yeap, should have converted the cartesian complex number into a phasor right away.

Anyway, taking the real part i end up to :
[itex] cos(\frac{\pi}{4} + \theta)= \frac{-1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]

(If i use the cosine of a sum of angles formula, i end up to what i got at the first post).

So if you add pi/4 = 45 deg to the angle theta, you get an angle whose cosine is -1.
So theta = 180 - 45 = 135 degrees?

Why two values in 0,2pi ?

atrus_ovis said:
Thanks, both of you.

@Curious
yeap, should have converted the cartesian complex number into a phasor right away.

Anyway, taking the real part i end up to :
[itex]\cos(\frac{\pi}{4} + \theta)= \frac{-1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]

(If i use the cosine of a sum of angles formula, i end up to what i got at the first post).

So if you add pi/4 = 45 deg to the angle theta, you get an angle whose cosine is -1.
So theta = 180 - 45 = 135 degrees?

Why two values in 0,2pi ?

"Both of you"? Well, "both of me" welcome you. :wink: I posted again (rather than edit my original post) for clarity as I saw you were already online and might have read the old post.

Generally, in complex analysis, you work in radians unless otherwise directed. Certainly you shouldn't "mix" radians and degrees as you did.

So let's do it in radians, then just state the answers in degrees in parantheses for completeness.

You have: [itex]\cos(\frac{\pi}{4} + \theta) = \frac{-1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]

There are two angles in [0, 2pi) that give a cosine of [itex]\frac{-1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex], namely [itex]\frac{3\pi}{4}[/itex] (or 135 degrees) and [itex]\frac{5\pi}{4}[/itex] (or 225 degrees). You can see this by recognising that the principal angle that gives the correct absolute value of [itex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex] (note the positive sign) for the cosine is [itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex] (or 45 degrees). Cosine is positive in the 1st and 4th quadrants, and negative in the 2nd and 3rd quadrants, so find the equivalent angle measures in the 2nd and 3rd quadrants, which are the ones previously stated. Sketch the 4 quadrants if you're unsure how we got there.

So [itex]\frac{\pi}{4} + \theta = \frac{3\pi}{4}[/itex] or [itex]\frac{\pi}{4} + \theta =\frac{5\pi}{4}[/itex]

Solving each of those independently gets you [itex]\theta = \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] (90 degrees) or [itex]\pi[/itex] (180 degrees) respectively. Those are the two values in [itex][0,2\pi)[/itex], and they are both admissible, which you can verify by plugging back into the original equation. In the first case, [itex]e^{j\theta} = j[/itex] and in the second, [itex]e^{j\theta} = -1[/itex]. Multiply those by [itex](1+j)[/itex] and verify that the real part is [itex]-1[/itex] in each case.

Thanks again, one of you :P

I get it now.Somehow in my head i was trying to figure out cos(θ+π/4) = -1 ... go figure.
For the above, θ does have only 1 solution in (0,2pi) , correct?

atrus_ovis said:
Thanks again, one of you :P

I get it now.Somehow in my head i was trying to figure out cos(θ+π/4) = -1 ... go figure.
For the above, θ does have only 1 solution in (0,2pi) , correct?

Yes, because pi is the only angle with a cosine equal to -1 within that range.

Yep.Thanks again.

Related to Solve for phase on the real part of a simple complex equation

1. What is the purpose of solving for the phase on the real part of a complex equation?

The phase on the real part of a complex equation is used to determine the angle at which the complex number is located on the complex plane. This can help in understanding the behavior and properties of the equation.

2. How is the phase on the real part of a complex equation calculated?

The phase on the real part of a complex equation is calculated using the inverse tangent function (arctan) of the imaginary part divided by the real part. This gives the angle in radians, which can then be converted to degrees if needed.

3. Can the phase on the real part of a complex equation be negative?

Yes, the phase on the real part of a complex equation can be negative. This indicates that the complex number is located in the third or fourth quadrant of the complex plane, where the real part is negative.

4. What is the range of values for the phase on the real part of a complex equation?

The range of values for the phase on the real part of a complex equation is between -π and π radians, or -180° and 180°. This is because the complex plane is divided into four quadrants, with each quadrant having a range of 90° or π/2 radians.

5. How does the phase on the real part of a complex equation affect the overall solution?

The phase on the real part of a complex equation does not affect the overall solution, as it only gives information about the location of the complex number on the complex plane. However, it can help in understanding the behavior and properties of the equation, which may be useful in certain applications.