Solving 1= \frac{2^{x+1}}{x}: Is There a Trick?

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
In summary, the student is trying to solve an equation that does not have a real solution, and has gone around in circles.
cragar

Homework Statement

[itex] 1= \frac{2^{x+1}}{x} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I multiplied both sides by x and then tried taking the ln of both sides but it just seems like you go in circles. Is this solvable with some trick?

Physics news on Phys.org
Equations like that can't normally be solved by algebraic methods. You must use numerical methods. However, this particular equation can be shown not to have any real solutions.

cragar said:

Homework Statement

The Attempt at a Solution

I multiplied both sides by x and then tried taking the ln of both sides but it just seems like you go in circles. Is this solvable with some trick?

It's not straightforward. It is solvable in terms of the so-called Lambert W-function. The solution is complex. Here it is in Maple 14:

eq:=2^(x+1)/x=1;
(x + 1)
eq := -------- = 1
x
sol:=solve(eq,x); evalf(sol);
sol := -1/ln(2)*LambertW(-2*ln(2))
.1279196207-2.181686754*I (I = sqrt(-1) in Maple terminology)

Alternatively: you could write x = a + I*b and get a set of two coupled nonlinear equations for a and b, then solve them numerically using a Newton-Raphson method or something similar.

RGV

cragar said:

Homework Statement

You're right about going around in circles.

[itex](x) 1= \frac{2^{x+1}}{x} (x) [/itex]

[itex] x= 2^{x+1} [/itex]

[itex] \ln(x)= \ln(2^{x+1}) [/itex]

[itex] \ln(x)= x \ln(2) + \ln(2) [/itex]

[itex] \ln(x) - \ln(2) = x \ln(2) [/itex]

[itex] \frac{\ln(x)}{\ln(2)} - 1 = x [/itex]

This will give you an x = something, but you still have x in both sides of the equation.

I think there is no real solution. When I plot x and 2(x+1)...they do not intersect. However if x is imaginary, you get one extra d.o.f and a family of solutions exist.

Suppose x=a+ib. Then your equation becomes two equations (one for Re, and one for Im), these are:

a=2(a+1)(cos(b ln(2))) and b=2(a+1)(sin(b ln(2))). The ratio of these gives a=b/tan(b ln(2)). Thus the family of solutions is x= b/tan(b ln(2))+ib with |b|< [itex]\pi[/itex]/(2 ln(2))

ok thanks for the answers

ritoban5 said:
I think there is no real solution.
Since this question was posted in the Precalc section, I'm going to assume that the domain for consideration is real numbers. In that case, I agree with ritoban5 that there is no real solution, and in that context, that would be the answer.

cragar,
Is there some reason we should consider the complex numbers as possible solutions?

What does the equation 1= \frac{2^{x+1}}{x} represent?

The equation 1= \frac{2^{x+1}}{x} represents an exponential function with a base of 2 and an exponent of x+1, divided by x. It can also be written as 2^{x+1} = x.

Why is it important to solve this equation?

Solving this equation can help us find the value of x that satisfies the equation and can be used in various mathematical and scientific calculations. It also helps us understand the behavior of exponential functions.

Is there a specific method or trick to solve this equation?

Yes, there is a specific method to solve this equation. It involves using logarithms and algebraic manipulation to isolate the variable x and find its value.

Can this equation be solved for all values of x?

No, this equation cannot be solved for all values of x. It has a solution only for certain values of x that satisfy the equation. These values can be found using the method mentioned above.

What are some real-world applications of solving this equation?

This equation can be used in various fields such as finance, physics, and chemistry. For example, it can be used to calculate the growth rate of investments, predict the decay of radioactive substances, and determine reaction rates in chemical reactions.