Solve Free Falling Object: Find Height of Ball

In summary, a free falling object is only affected by the force of gravity and not by any other forces. The height of a ball in free fall can be calculated using the formula h = 1/2 * g * t^2, where g is the acceleration due to gravity and t is the time elapsed. The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s^2. Air resistance can affect the calculation of free fall by slowing down the object's rate of falling. The height of a ball in free fall can be measured using various methods, such as using a measuring tape or ruler, using a motion sensor, or using a stopwatch and the formula.
Casimi

Homework Statement

A ball, dropped from rest, covers three-fifths of the distance to the ground in the last second of its fall. From what height was the ball dropped?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have spent the past thirty minutes attempting to figure this out. I initially used a kinematic equation which gave me a new expression for the height and I attempted to put that expression into another kinematic equation but I still cannot seem to arrive at the correct answer.

Any advice or help on this would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
No need, I finally figured it out :)

Related to Solve Free Falling Object: Find Height of Ball

What is a free falling object?

A free falling object is an object that is only affected by the force of gravity. This means that it is not being pushed or pulled by any other forces, such as air resistance or friction.

How do you calculate the height of a ball in free fall?

The formula for calculating the height of a ball in free fall is h = 1/2 * g * t^2, where h is the height, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time elapsed.

What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s^2, which represents the rate at which an object falls towards the Earth due to the force of gravity.

How does air resistance affect the calculation of free fall?

Air resistance can affect the calculation of free fall by slowing down the rate at which an object falls. This means that the object may not reach the predicted height or may take longer to reach the ground.

How can the height of a ball in free fall be measured?

The height of a ball in free fall can be measured using various methods, such as using a measuring tape or ruler, using a motion sensor, or using a stopwatch to time how long it takes for the ball to fall and using the formula to calculate the height.