Solve Lagrangian Problem: Mass m Revolving in Circle

• Thread starter thenewbosco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lagrangian
Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses using Lagrangian mechanics and Lagrange multipliers to find the tension in a string connected to a mass whirled in a horizontal circle on a table. The Lagrangian is written in terms of the angle and time, and the Euler-Lagrange equations are used to obtain the equations of motion. The tension in the string is then found by solving for the Lagrange multiplier and substituting it back into the constraint equation.
thenewbosco

Homework Statement

Mass m is connected to a string and is being whirled in a circle in a horizontal plane of a table. The string passes through a hole in the center of the circle and is being pulled with a constant velocity V starting at t=0 so the radius decreases. Initially the mass is at a distance r0 from the hole and is revolving with angular speed [tex]\omega_0[/tex]. Use Lagranges equations and Lagrange multipliers to find then tension in the string as a function of time.

Homework Equations

I have attempted to write down the Lagrangian with the lagrange multipliers but i am not sure it is correct.
what i have is that the speed of the mass is given by:
[tex]v=r\omega = r\dot{\theta}[/tex] and i have that r = r0 - Vt so [tex]v=(r_0-Vt)\dot{\theta}[/tex]
Using this in 1/2mv^2 for the Lagrangian along with the constraint r-r0+Vt=0 my Lagrangian with lagrange multiplier was this:
[tex]\frac{m}{2}(r_0^2-2r_0Vt + V^2t^2)\dot{\theta}^2 + \lambda(r-r_0+Vt)=L[/tex]
and when doing the derivative [tex]\frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{\dot{r}}}[/tex] i have this is the partial with respect to V. is this correct? then i would solve for lambda and this would be my force of tension?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. Your approach to solving this problem using Lagrangian mechanics and Lagrange multipliers is on the right track. However, there are a few steps that need to be clarified in order to obtain the correct solution.

Firstly, the Lagrangian should be written in terms of the generalized coordinates, which in this case are the angle \theta and the time t. The constraint equation r-r0+Vt=0 should also be expressed in terms of these coordinates, which gives us r=r0-Vt. Therefore, the Lagrangian becomes:

L = \frac{m}{2}(\dot{r}^2 + r^2\dot{\theta}^2) + \lambda(r-r0+Vt)

Next, we can calculate the partial derivatives of L with respect to \dot{r} and \dot{\theta}:

\frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{\dot{r}}} = m\dot{r}
\frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{\dot{\theta}}} = mr^2\dot{\theta}

Now, we can use the Euler-Lagrange equations to obtain the equations of motion:

\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{\dot{r}}}\right) = \frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{r}}
\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{\dot{\theta}}}\right) = \frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{\theta}}

Substituting in the partial derivatives calculated above, we get:

m\ddot{r} = \lambda V
mr\ddot{\theta} = -\lambda

Now, we can solve for \lambda and substitute it back into the original constraint equation to obtain the tension in the string:

\lambda = -mr\ddot{\theta}
T = \lambda + mg = -mr\ddot{\theta} + mg

This is the tension in the string as a function of time. I hope this helps clarify the steps needed to solve this problem using Lagrangian mechanics and Lagrange multipliers. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your research!

Related to Solve Lagrangian Problem: Mass m Revolving in Circle

1. What is the Lagrangian problem?

The Lagrangian problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the equations of motion for a system using the Lagrangian method. It is often used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving multiple moving objects.

2. How is the Lagrangian problem solved?

The Lagrangian problem is solved by using the Lagrangian equations of motion, which are derived from the Lagrangian function. This function takes into account the kinetic and potential energy of the system and is used to find the equations of motion for each object in the system.

3. What is a mass revolving in a circle?

A mass revolving in a circle refers to a system where a single object is moving in a circular path around a fixed point. This type of motion is often seen in pendulums, planets orbiting around a star, or a ball on a string being swung around in a circle.

4. How is the Lagrangian problem applied to a mass revolving in a circle?

In the case of a mass revolving in a circle, the Lagrangian problem is applied by considering the forces and energies acting on the object as it moves in a circular path. The Lagrangian equations of motion are then used to determine the equations of motion for the object, taking into account the circular motion.

5. What are the benefits of using the Lagrangian method to solve problems?

The Lagrangian method offers several benefits for solving problems involving moving objects. It is a more general approach compared to other methods, making it applicable to a wide range of problems. It also simplifies the equations of motion, making them easier to solve. Additionally, it takes into account the conservation of energy and momentum, which can provide valuable insights into the behavior of the system.