Solve LC Circuit Problem: Examples & Resources

In summary, the initial current through the inductor is 2.61 amps and the current through the resistor is -60/23 amps.
Schfra

Homework Statement

An image of the problem is attached. I have to find 2 currents in an LC circuit.

Homework Equations

V = L(di/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have no clue how to do this type of problem. Are there any examples problems similar to this online? Or can someone give me the necessary information to solve the problem. I’m not looking for anyone to solve the problem for me, I’m just looking for somewhere to start.

Attachments

• 45D3E237-C45D-4693-BEB9-B6E03AB16579.jpeg
    45D3E237-C45D-4693-BEB9-B6E03AB16579.jpeg
    13.7 KB · Views: 304
Physics news on Phys.org
You've only two recourses, Kirchhoff's laws and differential equations, or Laplace transforms to do the "differential stuff" algebraically. Personally I'd choose the Laplace route.

Likes Schfra
gneill said:
You've only two recourses, Kirchhoff's laws and differential equations, or Laplace transforms to do the "differential stuff" algebraically. Personally I'd choose the Laplace route.
What’s the process for solving a problem like this though? This is the first RL circuit problem I’ve been assigned to do so I’m pretty lost.

I assume I can replace the two inductors on the right with one inductor with a value of 2/3H.

After that, I have no idea what to do. The closest thing I’ve seen to this problem online was a video of someone solving for the current as a function of time before a switch was closed. In this problem, they seem to want current after the switch is opened.

Schfra said:
I assume I can replace the two inductors on the right with one inductor with a value of 2/3H.
Sure. Might as well incorporate the 3 H inductor as well.
Schfra said:
After that, I have no idea what to do. The closest thing I’ve seen to this problem online was a video of someone solving for the current as a function of time before a switch was closed. In this problem, they seem to want current after the switch is opened.
Find the steady state conditions for the circuit before the switch is opened. When the switch opens you've got an RL series circuit with an initial current.

Likes Schfra
gneill said:
Sure. Might as well incorporate the 3 H inductor as well.

Find the steady state conditions for the circuit before the switch is opened. When the switch opens you've got an RL series circuit with an initial current.
For steady state, I believe I have to treat inductors as short circuits.

I’ve simplified the circuit and then used current division and got a current of 55/23A through the inductor. If I did that right, I think this should be the initial current. What would I then do with that to get current as a function of time?

Attachments

• C7FB7FD1-3418-4A1B-A3B0-688F9C889F49.jpeg
    C7FB7FD1-3418-4A1B-A3B0-688F9C889F49.jpeg
    35.2 KB · Views: 278
Re-check your current calculation.

What does the part of the circuit of interest look like when the switch opens? Can it be simplified?

Likes Schfra
gneill said:
Re-check your current calculation.

What does the part of the circuit of interest look like when the switch opens? Can it be simplified?
I re-did the calculation and got 60/23 or about 2.61 for the current through the inductor.

Would the new circuit just be an inductor of 11/3H in series with a resistor of 5 Ohms?

Schfra said:
I re-did the calculation and got 60/23 or about 2.61 for the current through the inductor.

Would the new circuit just be an inductor of 11/3H in series with a resistor of 5 Ohms?
Yes and yes. What are the initial conditions (the instant following switch opening)? What have you learned about the behavior of an RL circuit?

Likes Schfra
gneill said:
Yes and yes. What are the initial conditions (the instant following switch opening)? What have you learned about the behavior of an RL circuit?
Looking through my notes I found the equation i(t) = i(0)e^(-(R/L)t), which gives me an answer of i(t) = 60/23e^(-15t/11) for the current through the inductor and -60/23e^(-15t/11) through the resistor. I’m not sure if that’s what you meant by initial conditions, or if my answers are correct.

Yes, and your results look good. Be sure to indicate the units (amps) when you submit your results.

Likes Schfra
gneill said:
Yes, and your results look good. Be sure to indicate the units (amps) when you submit your results.
Alright, thanks for the help.

What is an LC circuit?

An LC circuit is a type of electronic circuit that consists of an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) connected together. It forms a resonant circuit that can store and transfer energy between the inductor and capacitor.

What is the purpose of solving an LC circuit problem?

The purpose of solving an LC circuit problem is to determine the behavior of the circuit, such as the voltage and current at different time intervals. This information is important for designing and analyzing electronic systems that use LC circuits.

What are some examples of LC circuits?

Some examples of LC circuits include radio receivers, oscillators, and filters. LC circuits are also commonly used in electronic devices such as televisions, computers, and mobile phones.

What are some resources for solving LC circuit problems?

There are several resources available for solving LC circuit problems, including textbooks, online tutorials, and simulation software. Some useful tools for solving LC circuit problems include MATLAB, SPICE, and LTSpice.

What are the key equations used to solve LC circuit problems?

The key equations used to solve LC circuit problems include the basic laws of electricity and magnetism, such as Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws, and Faraday's law. Additionally, the equations for calculating the resonant frequency, impedance, and energy stored in the circuit are important in solving LC circuit problems.