Solve Pin Jointed Frame Q1: Evaluate Reactions, Calculate Forces

• Thread starter qaisjc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frame Pin
In summary, the frame is supported by a roller joint and a pin joint. The reactions at A and D are evaluated and the forces exerted on the frame are calculated. The member forces are then determined.
qaisjc
Hey Guys, I've got a pretty simple (I think) pin joint frame question. I am pretty weak in this area of mechanics so if someone could advise me on how to go about doing this question i would really appreciate it.

The Figure Q1 (The Attatchment) shows a pin jointed frame.

The frame is supported

• At A by a roller joint and
• At D by a pin joint.
• AD = CD = 1m and BC = 2m.

a) Evaluate the reactions at A and D, i.e. the forces exerted on the frame by the supports.

b) Calculate the forces carried by the following members, indicating if they are in tension or compression.

i) AB
ii) BC
iii) AC

Attachments

• Figure Q1.jpg
    Figure Q1.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 743
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello gaisjc and welcome to PF.

You must first calculate the reaction forces using the standard 3 equilibrium equations. Note that the roller support by definition must just have a vertical reaction. Then you can use the method of joints to solve for the member forces. You must show some attempt at a solution before we can be of further assistance, however weak that attempt may be..

Oops, my appologies. I haven't attempted a solution because I honastly don't know what to do. I realize I have to fine the moment at D using [tex]\Sigma[/tex]MD=0 and use that to find Dx and Dy, then use the method of joints to solve for the member forces, but as to what numbers I use to find the moment at D, that's what confuses me.

qaisjc said:
Oops, my appologies. I haven't attempted a solution because I honastly don't know what to do. I realize I have to fine the moment at D using [tex]\Sigma[/tex]MD=0 and use that to find Dx and Dy, then use the method of joints to solve for the member forces, but as to what numbers I use to find the moment at D, that's what confuses me.
Summing moments about D is a good idea, but first you should identify all unknown support reactions. You've already noted Dx and Dy. What about Ay?(As I noted earlier, there can be no Ax, just an Ay at support A). Now sum moments due to the applied force, and due to Ay, about D ,to solve for Ay. The member lengths are given. Note that the moment of a force about a point is the product of the force times the perpendicular distance from the line of action of that force to that point.

I really appreciate your help PhanthomJay. Ok, so this is what I've got so far;

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]MDz=0, therefore (FAyx1)-(5x2)=0
therefore FAy=10

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy=0, therefore FDy+10-5=0
therefore FDy=5

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx=0 therefore FDx=0

Right? Or have I missed something?

qaisjc said:
I really appreciate your help PhanthomJay. Ok, so this is what I've got so far;

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]MDz=0, therefore (FAyx1)-(5x2)=0
therefore FAy=10
Yes, but you must specify in which direction (up or down) that force acts on the frame.
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy=0, therefore FDy+10-5=0
therefore FDy=5
well, actually, that works out to F_Dy = -5. What does that minus sign mean in regard to the direction of F_Dy?
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx=0 therefore FDx=0
yes, correct.
Right? Or have I missed something?
Looks Ok, as long as you have your directions correct. Please watch your plus and minus signs. Once you're clear on the directions (up or down) that the vertical reaction forces exert on the frame, you can move onto the member force calculations.

Related to Solve Pin Jointed Frame Q1: Evaluate Reactions, Calculate Forces

1. What is a pin jointed frame?

A pin jointed frame is a structural system made up of interconnected members connected by pin joints. The pin joints allow for free rotation of the members, making it a statically indeterminate system.

2. How do you evaluate reactions in a pin jointed frame?

To evaluate reactions in a pin jointed frame, you can use the equations of equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces acting on a rigid body must equal zero and the sum of all moments must also equal zero. This will allow you to solve for the unknown reaction forces at the pin joints.

3. How do you calculate forces in a pin jointed frame?

To calculate forces in a pin jointed frame, you can use the method of joints or method of sections. The method of joints involves analyzing each individual joint to solve for the unknown forces, while the method of sections involves cutting the frame into sections and using equilibrium equations to solve for the unknown forces.

4. What are the limitations of solving pin jointed frames?

The main limitation of solving pin jointed frames is that they are only applicable to structures that are statically determinate, meaning that the reactions and internal forces can be determined using static equilibrium equations. Additionally, pin jointed frames assume that the joints are perfectly pinned and do not take into account any bending or deformations of the members.

5. How is the solution for a pin jointed frame verified?

The solution for a pin jointed frame can be verified by checking that the sum of the external forces and moments equals zero and that each joint satisfies the equations of equilibrium. Additionally, the solution can be verified by using a structural analysis software or by conducting physical tests on the frame.