Solve SDOF System Homework: m, r, k, c

• Thread starter BreadKnife
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the problem involves a block with a mass of 3kg attached to a disk with a radius of 9cm and a spring with a stiffness of 21 N/m2 and a damping coefficient of 63 N S/m. The equations of motion are given by the equilibrium equations, with the added term of 10kx due to the moment about the support. To find the angular displacement of the disk, the equivalent stiffness constant, k_equivalent, is found by adding 10k to the original stiffness constant, k. The conditions for solving this problem are that the block is initially at rest and is displaced 10 cm to the right. To find the natural frequency and damping ratio of the system, the equation of
BreadKnife

Homework Statement

hKtZ5VC.jpg

m= 3kg, r=9cm, k = 21 N/m2, c= 63 N S/m
1. The smaller radius is half of the larger radius.
a. Find the equations of motion.
b. If the block is displaced 10 cm to the right and released from rest, find the angular displacement of the disk.
c. What are the natural frequency and damping ratio of the system in terms of m, c, and k?

Homework Equations

Equilibrium equations
##m \ddot x+ c \dot x + kx = 0##

The Attempt at a Solution

a.)

sv9aj3n.png

## F1 = (4k + k )x= 5kx ##

Moment about the support:
## T (0.09/2) - 5kx (0.09) =0##
##T = 10 kx##
ODER5Zc.png

My positive x displacement is to the right. I'm a bit unsure at this point. Since T is expressed in terms similar to a spring force, I thought maybe I could treat it as such as such to find k equivalent.
## k_{equivalent} = k + 10k = 11k ##
##3 \ddot x+ 63 \dot x + 11(21)x = 0 ##

b.
The conditions I see are:
It's from rest, so initially ## \dot x =0## also ## x =0.1 ##
I don't know what variable I'm supposed to be looking for.
I don't know how to proceed. I think I need to find the displacement of the mass first, so that I can relate it to the angular displacement because of ##r \theta##.

Physics news on Phys.org
c.I think I need to solve the equation of motion in order to find the natural frequency and damping ratio. Is this correct? If so, how would I go about doing that?

1. What is a SDOF system?

A SDOF (single degree of freedom) system is a type of mechanical system that can be described by a single coordinate or variable. It consists of a single mass, a single spring, and a single damper, and is commonly used to model simple mechanical systems such as a mass-spring system.

2. How do I calculate the mass, stiffness, damping coefficient, and damping ratio in a SDOF system?

The mass (m) can be determined by measuring the physical mass of the system. The stiffness (k) can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. The damping coefficient (c) can be determined experimentally or by using a damping ratio (ζ) and the critical damping coefficient (cc) formula: cc = 2√(mk). The damping ratio can be calculated using the formula: ζ = c / cc.

3. How do I solve for the displacement, velocity, and acceleration in a SDOF system?

The displacement (x), velocity (v), and acceleration (a) of a SDOF system can be solved using the equations of motion: m * a + c * v + k * x = F(t), where m is the mass, c is the damping coefficient, k is the stiffness, and F(t) is the external force acting on the system. Once these equations are solved, the values of x, v, and a can be determined as functions of time.

4. What is the natural frequency of a SDOF system?

The natural frequency (ωn) of a SDOF system is a measure of how quickly the system will oscillate when disturbed from its equilibrium position. It is calculated using the formula: ωn = √(k / m), where k is the stiffness and m is the mass of the system. It is often used to characterize the behavior of a SDOF system.

5. How can a SDOF system be used in real-world applications?

A SDOF system can be used to model and analyze the behavior of various mechanical systems, such as bridges, buildings, and vehicles. It can also be used to design and optimize these systems by predicting their response to different inputs, such as wind or earthquake forces. Additionally, SDOF systems are commonly used in vibration analysis and control, as well as in the development of shock absorbers and other damping devices.